Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
KinK

My new Computer

23 posts in this topic

Ok so I keep finding that my new Laptop (with windows xp) does not have all the functuanality that I like so I decided to make myself a portable computer that I can use as a tool. Specs Duel P3 933mhz 1GB Ram 350Watt PS Front Back Board Close up Case Opened up whatcha think

Cute on the outside...(ugly on the inside.) I'm sure it meets those needs that a notebook cannot. Be sure and load it with lots of serial ports. How about a CLK PCI board?

oH MY GOSH, that is too kewl. Did you enter that in the MaxiumPC Magazine CASE Modding competition?

I am like a computer hardware junkie. I think I own like 5+ computers. Each one has it's own job. The magazine is worth a look, who knows you might win! http://www.maximumpc.com/features/feature_...2003-08-01.html

Nice!! I am curious for the screen. is it also mounted on the case and what resolution is it?? Greetz, Jimbo

I havent come up with a screen yet. I am looking at converting an old laptop screen because I dont want to spend the money on a 15 " lcd but I will have to see. It does however fit very nicely under my desk to be used as a server when not in use as a portable.

I am still working on it I will be adding some foam for noise insulation and possibly changing out the 31/2 drive bay for a 5 1/4 that way the hd will be easly removeable and I can put a cd rom in it ps ya it has 2 comports and I have an old omron device net configerator which will go in as well as extra pci comport.

Yea!!!!! It's an Omron portable workstation!

I think you should list it on EBAY as "Screen not included"

With the current World climate I just wonder how you get it on an aircraft....? Looks like the bomb from the move Executive Decision starring Kurt Russell.... :-p :-p I sure don;t think any would be theives would be pinching it off the back seat of a car... cool....

Don't think you'll have much luck with the laptop screen. Most of them use video drivers built into the motherboard and they aren't easily converted to VGA either.

Ya I know I have been looking into it as I have a dead laptop that has a good screen however I am still trying to find a reliable hack....

Kinda resembles an Omron FIT 10. We still have one of those around somewhere.

Just get an 15" LCD display and bolt it to suitcase cover. I'm not sure how to protect it from scratches....

Not really portable with that power supply... mod in a battery supply of some sort

LOL no way I would need to drag a ups around with me. and if I am working on plc's there will be power there.... so

Greeting KinK, Thanx for sharing your portable PC project. I have had to repair a few PC cases that were knocked off of desks, platforms, cabinets, trolleys...ect...ect.. Very innovative and nice job of fitting all into a case. This thread did remind me about 15 to 20 years ago lugging around an Allen Bradley T50 programming unit. And thinking how fortunate I was that this unit was so portable. Well Good luck and thanx for sharing. Dan

wat's ur posture when u program the plc on site? *wondering

not quite sure what you are getting at. The basic nessesity comes from the fact that most of the places I work the PC's are desk top pc's and I find that sometimes the stuff that I program sometimes works on my Laptop but not on these PC's , I had all the parts other than the pop rivits $2.50 or something like that so I figured I would build up a test machine. I am also trying to get linux and my omron plc to talk to each other right now and so I have made it a duel boot system. it seems to work well, the only thing I think that i need is a floppy drive and maybe a cdrom but that will come as soon as I find a worthy 5 1/4 bay. Peace

A thought, maybe you could use a video card with TV output then connect to a portable TV and/or monitor. You can find small (6, 7, 8 inch etc) TFT LCD portable TV's that run off 12vdc that are reasonably priced.

Great idea I will definately look into that :)