Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TimWilborne

IT in Charge of PLC Programing?

23 posts in this topic

We all know the great wall of separation between IT and PLC Programmers that many of us must deal with so I thought I would ask your opinion on this. What if the IT department was in charge of PLC Programing? Obviously this would make linking the office and PLCs much easier but would it help break the division between the plant and the office or would it cause more headaches?

I'm not sure I understand your dilemma.. our IT dept. specifies what hardware is to be used (server,switches,access points... ect) but what goes on within our "industrial network" is up to me. I guess I'm fortunate... we only have one IT guy and one automation guy (me) and we have a very good working relationship.

For what its worth, I have yet to see a controls group under the wing of the IT group in any company I've worked for and done business with (GM, Ford, Chrysler, etc). The closest scenario I can recall was at the Detroit Diesel Corporation when GM owned it and had just purchased EDS. EDS took the responsibility of the HMI programming which were DEC VT-100 terminals running off UNIX servers. This was in the late 80s and the closest I've seen the IT group involved since is providing a server to upload production data to and they take care of everything beyond that. Edited by jstolaruk

I have only worked with our IT dept. once and that done it for me. I heard more why and how comes than you could imagine. I hope no one else has to go through as much problems as I did.

The Process Control Group does the PLC programming. Our boss reports to the IT group's boss. The Process Control Group reviews all PLC installations. I am in the Process Control Group & my office is on the same floor as the IT group. We have a close working relationship...when they screw up I am there to tell them :) But seriously, close communications is the only way to make it work. When ever they install software or work on the Process Control Network, they coordinate through me. I review all devices on the Process Network before they are rolled out. There are many advantages to having the IT group 'own' the Process Control Network, but Process Control still needs to oversee it. And having one boss (with a clue) over both groups forces it.

The most important aspect of PLC programming (in my opinion) is the machine control. The safety of the opertors depend on it, the safety of the machinery depends on it, the quality of the process depends on it. The IT field does not possess the necessary knowledge or skills to be in charge of controlling machinery. I understand why you are asking as networking PLC's has become vital in process control. In my opinion, if they need to make graphs, charts and statistical analysis, then I will give them numbers and they can do with it as they please. If I need specifications (hardware, protocols, formats, etc...) to connect to thier network and transfer data, then they will give me what I need. Currently this is our wall. For the most part, we are pretty cooperative with each other.

People would get killed and companies would go bankrupt under a crushing burden of liability suits.

We have sightly gone the other way here. At least as far as Networking goes. We have joined under the same management as the network IT. The Business side is another story. We move equipment lots, I was tired of waiting for there side. I now do it myself.

With us, IT and PLC guys work together in beautiful harmony.... ..... that is as we don't have an IT department

A lot would depend on how IT carried out the PLC programming function. If they let their data entry and "board swap" technicians program PLC's lord help us. If however they established a system of qualifications like they have for Network Administrators and MainFrame OS Programmers, etc and allowed only qualified programmers to touch PLC's then I say it might work. I've not seen this latter ever done. Plant Floor PLC programming dept's and IT Dept's have different mandates and goals. Until these are blended into a useful program I vote for putting more grout on the wall where it is weak.

PDL - Are you joking about the perfect harmony This has always been my feeling as well. But what if you could make it work. Think of the increase of productivity from the end of bickering

But you forget the hardest part of what you propose -- The "IT GODS" must let the "PLC IDIOTS" into their network servers, switches and Admin level priveledges. That ain't gonna happen anytime soon.

Ok let's rephrase the question a little bit. What if I was to become part of an IT department. Jobs would include writing code on both ends for communications between the plant and the office, maintaining servers, and perhaps still some modifications to the PLC code for production increases among more IT related task. Am I going to turn into a computer God or just fail miserably?

Use the Force LUUUKE!! And beware the dark side. LOL But if you're half as good on the IT side as youa re on the PLC side you'll do fine.

I'll throw in my 2cents.....Could you ever imagine an IT guy on the shop floor trying to understand the process like us PLC guys do ( the good ones any ways) to program the machine correctly ? Some might like the challenge but then again they would have to leave their little fish bowls....

I see your points These hard descisions, why can't everything in life come like PLC programming

I think it is a matter of priorities. The IT guys should support production not the other way around.

Absolutely! As should Engineering, Quality Assurance, Process Control, Human Resources, etc..... Production brings home the bacon.

Thanks for the advice. I guess I'll keep hunting

Sorry about that. I guess I didn't read your rephrased question correctly. As long as your interest and knowledge in networking is there, I believe you will do just fine. I just believe the separation needs to be there. IT has a lot of specialized work in front of them and so does machine engineering.

I cannot see IT guys viewing a machines process and logically being able to troubleshoot a fault. Brief statement but big brother may be watching.

Just wanted to thank everyone for their input on this matter. I have decided not to cross over to the "Dark Side" and declined the job. I work with PLCs for a living and hope I never have to change this Thanks again everyone TW

You Learn Well my Young Jedi LOL