Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
francevendee

Which Mitsubishi PLC should I use?

16 posts in this topic

I need to user a small PLC say 6 24Vdc inputs and 6 relay outputs. I also need an analogue input module to suit this plc 1-5Vdc. Which analogue module should I use? The plc will be connected to a E200 screen to display alarms, counters and pressure.

I think your cheapest route will be FX1S-14 MR-ES/UL PLC 8 24VDC INPUTS 6 RELAY OUTPUTS If you would like to have a few spares for later then FX1S-20 MR-ES/UL PLC 12 24VDC INPUTS 8 RELAY OUTPUTS Analog card FX0N-3A 2 ANALOG INPUTS 1 ANALOG OUTPUT If you step up to the FX2N series I believe you get some advanced programming functions but the price is about double. www.meau.com click downloads, product selection guide for the fx series PDF. Bob

Thanks Bob, Those items were what I was looking at, but I was not sure that the FXON-3A was compatable with the FX1S plc.

I would suggest you bump it up to a FX2N. It has many good features but don't know for sure without knowing your application

You cannot use the FX0N-3A with an FX1S. FX1S does not have the right side expansion bus. FX1N does. You need to use at least an FX1N for the right side bus special function modules. If all you need is one analog output, you can add an FX1N-2AD-BD board to the processor. Only one board, and it only has two inputs. Depending on your needs, you might be able to get away with the Alpha2. AL2-14MR-D has 8 DC inputs, 6 relay outputs, and you can use some of the inputs as 0-10VDC signals. Now Alpha2 isn't as much as PLC as it is a smart relay, so you may not want to go that route.

A second communication port will be better use for this connector, since the main one will be used for display. So better go FX1S with FX0N-3A. EDIT: Sure I meant FX1N. Just a typing error. Edited by Sergei Troizky

Not FX1S! You cannot use the right side bus on the FX1S. You'd need to go to at least the FX1N-14MR-ES/UL. And if he uses a Mitsubishi HMI product, they offer a mode where you can program the PLC via the HMI connection. They call it transparent mode, and all you need to do is plug the HMI into the PLC and then use the HMI programming cable to the HMI and you can go right through and program the PLC. No need for a second port. And if you use the GOT1000 units, they have a USB port on the front, and you can use the USB connection to program the PLC without opening the cabinet door.

Thanks for setting me straight Crossbow. I looked right at the application sheet on the FX0N-3A and thought it listed the FX1S as a supported plc. After looking again I realize I really should get my eyes checked. Bob

If this configuration is all you need, you can go for the FX1S-14MR-ES/UL with the FX1N-2AD-BD board. In this configuration you have 8 inputs, 6 outputs and 2 analogue inputs, and it works. 1 remark about this configuration, you requested an input voltage of 0-5V, this BD board can only handle 0-10V, meaning you use half the resolution inside the PLC. And like mentioned before it cannot be expanded with special modules. When using a FX0N-3A module you can configure this at 0-5V, meaning using the hole resolution. But using the FX0N-3A module means also upgrade the CPU to a FX1N-14MR-ES/UL.

Thanks FNMdeJong. I decided to go with the FX1N-14MR-ES and the FXON-3A, it appeared cleaner. Now the fun begins as I have not got involved with analogue before. Wait for my post!!

The FX0N-3A is a fairly low resolution analog module. For more accuracy, i would recommend the FX2N-4AD or FX2N-2AD for inputs, FX2N-4DA or FX2N-2DA for outputs, or the FX2N-5A for a combination of 4 in and 1 out. FX0N-3A is 8 bit analog (number 0-255 in PLC for 0-10V input) while the 2AD and 4AD modules are 0-4095 or 0-2000. If you use the FX0N-3A, there is a command in the PLC for communication with it. Otherwise, there is sample code in the manual for it on how to write the code. RD3A will read the analog input, and WR3A will write the output. Easier than doing the byte manipulation code. You can also use the RD3A and WR3A commands for the 2AD and 2DA as they require the byte manipulation too. 4AD on 4DA are easier, just a direct read of a 16 bit number.

The Alpha XL is also a solution if it has to be very cheap. The Alpha also does support connecting the Beijer panels ie. E200. But it depends on the application, because of the response time of the Alpha and the resolution of the analog indputs. I have using the Alpha for controlling som cooling af hydraulic system, with the Alpha only and a PT100 card connected. The screen on the Alpha was used as a "HMI" like a. I used the IP55 frame and had the Alpha on the front at the panel. It was a easy and Cheap solution. Best regards Dariusch

In the US, Alpha XL is called Alpha 2, and I mentioned that solution before. The IP55 mounting kit is also not available here.

Ahh yes, I was to fast reading the posts so I did not se that, sorry.. Ok I was not aware of the dirrerence that the Alpha XL is called Alpha 2. Btw. Why do you not have the IP55 mounting kit? And why the name difference? Best regard Dariusch

The FX0N series expansion modules are being discontinued, so go I'd go with an FX2N series expansion module is this is for a design. If it's a one-time use, no biggie. Just so you're aware, for the most part, FX2N modules can be used with FX1N PLCs. There are a few exceptions, but these analog modules aren't among them.