ragzz1995

Control Powerflex 525 with NJ301 with Ethernet/IP

9 posts in this topic

Hello All,

I would like to control Powerflex 525 drive with Omron NJ301-1200 PLC via Ethernet/IP (Set speed, start, stop). I've gotten until the part where I downloaded the necessary .eds files of the drive and imported into my Sysmac studio. However, I'm stuck after this point while assigning target variables and Originator variables and eventually setting speed and controlling the vfd. I've attached images for your reference.

Capture.PNG

Target variable is the Assembly Instance you are going to use ie 100 for input 150 for output.

The originator variables are the network variables that you will need to create.

It is best to create a structure then create a variable from the structure and assign it as an input/output network variable.

A little trick for seeing the Target variable.  Place your cursor in one of the Target Variable fields and hit CTRL+Space and it will show you the options.  Note that the originator variables will need to be the same size as the target variable assemblies.  You will need to declare them as Input or Output variables (under network publish column) in your global variable table and then register them on the Tag Set tab (Registration all after creating variables in Global Variables).  

1 person likes this

Hi,

I did create originator variable and linked it accordingly. 

@chelton I thought target variable for input is 1 and for output is 2 (For powerflex 525). Am i wrong? 

@chelton and @Michael Walsh are there predefined structures provided by AB/Omron for this or should i do the "word to bool" and "bool to word" conversion to read status and send control word.

Capture.PNG

@ragzz1995 You are correct, I was only giving an example. I haven't used a PF525 but had some time today to have a look. This sample input/output structure should help.

PF525_Input.thumb.png.255ed5c85bd18d4367PF525_Output.thumb.png.8e6d9c6e3233d6d9b

1 person likes this

My doc on general 3rd party connectivity on EtherNet/IP.

EIP Connection.pdf

1 person likes this

Hi @PMCR and @chelton,

Thank you so much for the help. I really appreciate it. I really wasn't excepting the Input/Output structure, guess it's my lucky day :)

@ragzz1995 I hope the structure worked for you. I needed a distraction. If it works/needs modification could you please post the results as I will save it to my library..