Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
WKla

Programming language

9 posts in this topic

Hi, I have a project that has the following modes of operations: manual, manual-electric, automatic. Each of this modes of operations has an sequential behavior, an operator presses a button and the program enters in another state. I'm working in GX IEC Developer v6.00 and a have some experience in programming PLC's in IL and I've started to learn ST. The question is, for this project, what programming language is more suitable, or what techniques to apply. I want something easy to read and modify because the logical structure is quite vast. The only type of program I've made was for monitoring so it had nothing to do with sequential behavior. I was thinking of using Pointers in IL language. I've tried STL but is not supported by this version of GX and is hard to find any examples or documentation to learn about SFC. I also have installed the demo version of GX Developer from this site. Thank you. Claudiu.

Hi there. I would tend to do this sort of thing in Ladder format. I have attached part of a sequence that uses a data register as the step monitor. This was written for the FX0s so you have to pulse flags to increment the register. In more sphisticated PLC's use the INCP instruction. Hope it helps Regards Paul Ked step_seq.zip

If you have GX IEC Developer, you should consider the SFC (Sequential Function Chart) programming language, as it is similar to a flowchart. But I typically write primarily in ladder logic.

it is very nice to know other languages but most PLCs are programmed in ladder (just look at code samples in any PLC forum or download section). if ladder or instruction list is something you can use, check download section, I just placed one file with simple sequencer....

Thank you for your answers. I'll try the program samples. Thank you again.

Study panic's well. It is a great example of how a program should be laid out. You could do worse than copy his style

thanks goody does anyone know how to change font size for printout? there must be a way to set that up...

I don't know about GX IEC Developer, but in regular GX Developer there is no way to set the font size. There were some print size issues with the software, and most of them centered around a font file. After some testing I found that PCs with Microsoft Office printed fine, while PCs without Office (or even with Works) did not print right. Version 8.32 no longer exhibits this problem. But the font size is fixed to fit the width of the screen in ladder printouts.

Almost producing commonly PLC manufacturers support STL language. In my opinion, you use which language is not important. I often use ladder language to program because of easy- to- use. However, Toward with PLCs siemens , I use STL or SCL language to apply control algorithms flexiblely.