Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ToddM

Lockout/tagout film

9 posts in this topic

Hi folks...Last week we had to go through our yearly lockout/tagout refresher training. Of course that meant the same old boring film we watch every year.I don't know if any of you have the same video or not, but ours starts out with a busy maintanance guy on the way to one call and he gets stopped by a couple of production people who ask if he's going to fix a loose chain or something on their conveyor, he tells them he's got another call and they go to break. While the production people are at break he {the maint guy} comes back sees the line down and dosen't have his lockout but decides it won't take too long and begins to work on the conveyor {looks like they are painting bunt pans by the way} The production people come back and start the conveyor. Long story short the dude gets hurt. Anyway....to the point. I've seen this video bunches of times but this time something popped in my mind, granted the guy is a dumb a$$ for not locking out the machine but an alarm horn might have saved his dumb a$$. How many of you guys include start up alarms on your machines? Some of our machines have them and some don't. Thanks and later...Todd

We have alarms on ours that go off before movement that could cause harm to people besides the operator in a production situation but a "startup" alarm or a "power up" alarm would be a good idea on our larger machines where it is hard to see the entire machine from the lock out point or the operators console Great idea

I think that Startup Alarms and or Power Up alarms are fast becoming standard practice at least in our segment of the food service industry. Which means that sooner or later OSHA will start citing for not having them under the General Duty Clause. Just remember Making Something Idiot Proof only gaurantees a better educated idiot will come along.

LOL!!! I will have to remember that

or, in this case, a deaf one. :P

This is the way I remember it: There is no such thing as idiot proof, only idiot resistant!!

Yep, some do, some don't. Trouble is, the alarm can crap out too (many ways) - so don't trust those either !! Nibroc

I Would also like to add. If the maintenace person is on the floor often and there are several machines on the floor. Then he/she will become accustom to hearing multiple horns and may disregard them all together. Then you got a maintenace guy nicknamed 'Nubs' walking around. It would be a shame.

We have tons of machines in our plant making several diffent noises around the clock. We use a different sound for 'Start'. This is for safety purposes. We also use different sounds for 'Emergency Stop', 'Alarm Stop', 'Parts Shortages'. This is for the convienence of the operator. I know what you mean about becomming accutomed to to the noises. With having different alarms is it also less disturbing the ears.