Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ken Roach

Indiana Daylight Savings Time

26 posts in this topic

You sound like you might be mellowing, Bob. Is that daylight savings time thing getting to you ? :)

No Ken It is me getting rested up from all that cross country travel. No more louisville to seattle commutes for me.

I support the "Ditch Mitch" program. Us Indiana people are going to be so confused on Sunday, it's not even going to be funny. I don't even know how to change the clocks on half of my clocks in my house, because I've never done it in my life....I better get started today.

Chako you and I will disagree there I am jsut glad to rid of Fast Time / Slow Time issue. When my clock says 9:00 am and the neighbor across the street is 8;00 am because I am in one county and he in another.

I say get rid of daylight savings time completely. Not only is it a pain in general but when you are doing international business it really gets bad. Are they in the northern hemisphere, near the equator, or the southern hemisphere. Which way do we offset the time, oh no wait, it's 70 F in the winter there, they must not have daylight savings time. The world needs to get rid of it.

Not a bad idea TW, but to do that you'll have to use the age old detective adage "follow the money" and see who profits from DST and convince them to change.

Yes, I would say they are a little more powerful than me.

so I'm not alone one this...

Are we really gaining anything from daylight savings time anymore. We have become a world that runs 24/7 Edited by TWControls

Chakorules - What do you mean with the title "Indiana Daylight Savings Time" So you have to learn to set all your clocks. What about those of us how have been fighting setting our VCRs for years.

This thread started out as a joke from Ken Roach to BobLFoot in another thread. I assume Ken was giving BobLFoot a hard time because he lives in Indiana. This Sunday will be the first time in 30 years Indiana has to change our clocks. I live in Indiana as well, that's why I chimed in. Indiana never changed our clocks, we always kept the same time. Sometimes we would be on Chicago time, other times Eastern Time. We have our own time zone, called Indiana Eastern. Check your computer. Now most of the upper state area, is on Eastern Time, thanks to Mitch Daniels, who also sold our toll road for 3 billion 75 year lease, which you know the people who bought it are going to jack up the prices.... Ditch Mitch, I say...

I know about Indiana. I was just giving you a hard time. It's a pain. Everyone is either grumpy because they got to work early, or were late because the forgot to set their clock or set their clock and still couldn't get their butt out of bed

I think it's time not just to cancel that stupid time change, but also put whole country ( and may be Canada if they ask nicely) on one time zone: - we will wake up and go to work using time currently called PST - and go home from work using EST. Also for people who lives more than 50 mile from work: - let them start hour later - they late every day anyway. And for guys who work close to their home - 2- hour paid lunch - to go home and take a nap to prevent neck injury at work. And end work before happy hour, not after... === Ok it's time to wake up... Edited by Contr_Conn

You think we could add a mid morning nap to this?

Looks like it bothered the George Mason team so much they were a half hour late for the game. I went to school in St. Joseph County, so I know all about being on different time zones. It's just a little confusing, not the end of the world. Unless it makes you miss kickoff. I live out in Seattle now, but wore my "My Man Mitch" t-shirt on St. Patrick's Day. Ask somebody from Florida about badly managed toll roads.....

Ok, this is probably a real simple question for those of you who live on one of the time zone transisitions. But as I drive across the US, my cell phone changes time accordingly. How do you deal with that bouncing back and forth on cell towers when driving to work or somewhere

My cell phone used to bounce between Slow Time and Fast time towers here in IN when I drove to work. I always relied on the in dahs clock rather than the cell. I also could hit a fast tower on one side of the house and a slow tower on the other. It was frustratng but also great for the 7 to 7 free calling. & pm occurs first in fast time and 7am occurs last in slow time. SO 7 pm to 7am calling was a 14 hour period. But that is history. With unified time in Indiana no more slow and fast on opposite sides of the road.

I tend to disagree with you all on DST. I actually enjoy DST especially in summer to extend the opportunitys to relax with the kids, go to the beach/pool, enjoy a beer after work, all during daylight hours. One of the funniest protests i heard about DST was that the Cows that need to get milked got confused Queensland in OZ does not have DST, I look at that in I get to goe home an hour earlier. But it sure does cause a country city like Tweed Heads which is smack bang on the boarder of NSW and QLD a bit of a problem. A kid might live in NSW side with DST and yet go to school on QLD with NO DST. They travel through a time warp every day during DST.

Oh, and to continue my rant about DST, I forgot about the jerks that forget to set their clock and instead of coming in late and dealing with the tardy on their record, they call in sick. Or did a violent strand of the flu just pop up overnight

i don't like idea of changing reference. never change reference, period. it's a pain to adjust all these clocks, write programs to work around it etc. twice a year i'm looking for manuals and remotes for all the things that have clock because universal remote doesn't work for that. was it really that big problem to make different schedule for each season and leave the clock alone? who was the brainiac behind DST anyway?

I had to be some politician. Man I hate DST I hate DST I hate it. I hate it. I hate...

History: HistoryofDayLiteSavings.pdf

So why can't we just leave it on summer time. According to the article it was done that way for a time

Oh I'm just ranting if you haven't figured that out yet I am fully aware that this is the way it has been done and who are we to change a tradition. And I still hate it

Daylight Saving Time is a major waste of resources. You can get *ALL* the benefits of it by simply changing your schedule to suit the seasons. Your company wants to start an hour early in the summer? Who's stopping you? If it makes economic sense, pick a date that works for you and do it. What doesn't make sense is a one size fits all approach mandated by the government. What really gets me though is the new idea of changing the start and end dates! Sheesh. How much automation is going to break because of that? Sounds like Y2K all over again. Oh well, as a guy I used to work with liked to say "There is money to be made in confusion".