teal854t

ControlLogix with Ehetrnet/IP card to PC communication

20 posts in this topic

Hi, We have new machine with ControlLogix PLC with Ethernet/IP card which is then connect to router switch via RJ45 cable, from router switch there're some RJ45 cables connected to different devices. I was able to go on line with Rslinx and DF1 cable, too slow. I don't know how to communicate Controllogix via ethernet. There's ip address 198.162.120.111. scrolling display on Ethernet card. I like to know how to go on line via ethernet. There's a port available for lap top connection at router switch. Thanks

Short Answer 1. Plug laptop into switch. 2. Open Command prompt Window on laptop and ping 198.162.120.111 3. If the results are good then proceed with Opening Rslinx, if not you have a Network / Address Issue needing attention first. 4. With RSLinx Open - create a new Ethernet or Ethernet/IP driver. I'll assume you chose ethernet. 5. When you configure driver add the IP 198.162.120.111 to the empty list. 6. With your new driver started and running in RSlinx, open the linx rswho window. 7. Browse to your PLC and wait for the "red X" to dissappear. 8. If successful to this point Open RSlogix 5000 and select Communications - Who Active 9. Browse to your PLC and choose go online. If you have trouble with any step of the short answer post screenshot and description of what happened and someone from the site will help.

1b. Set IP address on laptop to 198.162.120.xxx. xxx = any number between 1 and 255 except 111.

I tried the ping, no reply. Also tried ipconfig and showed no address. Replaced cable, no difference. How can I obtain subnet mask. I'm lost. Thanks

A subnet of 255.255.255.0 will work. Don't worry about RsLinx until you can ping. Let's start at the Windows basics. Open up your "Network Connections" screen and check the status of the network. Is it Disabled, Network Cable Unplugged, or Connected?

Teal, It looks like you need to do step 1b as gmferg suggested. Your laptop needs to be told what IP address to use or it will not be able to connect.

How do I set the IP address? From local area connection properties, internet protocol (TCP/IP) properties? Do I need special AB cable on any ethernet cable will work? TWcontrols, It didn't show 1394 connection, only showed wireless and local connections. Thanks Edited by teal854t

So what's the Local Area Connection saying? Connected or Disabled? Double Click the Local Area Connection, this will bring up the Local Area Connection Properties. Scroll down to the "Internet Protocol(TCP/IP)" and click properties. Click "Use the following IP Address" and set it to 198.162.120.xxx with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0. Don't worry about the default gateway.

The Ethernet/IP card is almost like any other 'PC' on a LAN. You need to get your PC configured on the same set of IP address as the ENBT, but remember all Ethernet addresses need to be unique. Its pretty simple if you know LAN networking basics, but if you are a newbie, try to get some help from any pretty average networking colleague. Once he is able to get your laptop on the network, and you are able to successfully 'ping' the Ethernet/IP card from your laptop (which is mandatory) everything will get pretty simple. You will be able to see the CLX in RSLinx using the Ethernet/IP driver (Just add the driver, no extra configuration is required). Best of Luck! >Always look at the bigger picture.

The IP address from PLC is 192.168.120.111. I set up the local area nnetwork IP address to 192.168.120.10 and pinged it. It pinged fine. I then went to rslinx and add the driver Ethernet/IP and configured the IP address with the one I created,192.168.120.10 and subnet mask to 255.255.255.0. then check it at rswho and see no connection. Thanks

With your laptop set to the following IP 192.168.120.10 try to ping 192.168.120.111. If this ping works ok then set this IP 192.168.120.111 in RSLinx and look at RSWho Hope this helps.

The IP address on the ENBT Ethernet card sounds like the default address. Everyone and their brother use these default addresses. If you have a lazy network group they might have an address already assigned in the plant. You do not have the ENBT flashing a duplicate address on the front do you when you plugged it into the plant network? Otherwise the IT might have this default address scheme blocked from the network. Its to keep contractors like me from coming in and destroying their order, when I want to use wireless switch I always use from my bag of tools. The switch might have this port blocked right now to keep that ENBT address off the network, since its a default address. This might be a configuration issue decision made by the IT people. If you have your network switch in the picture this might be part of the problem. You probably want to have a seperate low cost hub or switch and use it to do the above procedure to change the IP address. Then when you have changed it to a prescribed IP address that was given to you by the IT department. Then change your laptop IP or just dhcp and you should be connected after you change it. I know that above posters have said that the gateway address is not important, but it really is important. Why is this? The reason is that your PLC ENBT if talking to your laptop needs to find you. If you do not have this gateway address in the picture, the connection can be spotty when you have heavy traffic. Now if your doing any hi speed communications on between that ENBT and whatever, you will get crashes and downgraded network performance. Not important to just get connected but does impact performance.

I have the same problem , and i make every thing but the processor icon doesn't appear in rslinx Rshow. what can i do??only the Ether net module (1756-ENBT) appears. and how can i go online to the processor through this Ethernet module thanks

The processor should show up in the "tree" on the lefthand side of RSWho, NOT in the graphical display (unless you turn on list mode and turn off the graphical stuff), shown under the ENBT module. If you can't find it, you are probably working with either an outdated or missing EDS file. Either upgrade to the current version of RS-Linx, or at a minimum, download the latest EDS files in RS-Linx for 1756-ENBT and so forth. This is assuming you are using RS-Linx Classic. I have very little experience with RS-Linx Enterprise, and all of my experience has been bad.

Paul makes an excellent point. Set up an Ethernet Driver first and get it working. After that you can try the ethernet IP. And if possible post a screenshot of your rslinx setup windows. This is doable by pressing the Control and Print Screen keys together (This copies the window/screenshot to the windows clipboard). Next open the program paint and paste the clipboard. Then do a save as jpg and you can upload to the forum.

Hi, Thanks for all the help. I've got it working. I reinstalled the Rslinx and followed the procedures that I received from you all and it worked. Something must be missing when Rslinx was installed before. Thanks

hello guys, 

please I have the same issue where my ethernet card in 192.168.1.10 as i put using the dip switches at the back of the card. my plant network is 10.4.49.xx.

i don't really know how make my PLC works. I am using the USB. 

Below is a picture of how a previous technician set it up to make it work. please I need help. Thanks  

office setup.jpg

You can only use the switches for addresses like 192.168.1.x.  For anything else, you need to access the Module Configuration page of the device (via RSLinx)  through a temporary connection (like putting your PC on 192.168.1.y long enough to do this).

Thanks. please is it possible to change the 192.168.1.x to 10.4.76.x ?

Using RSLinx Classic, go the the module configuration tab of that device to set the desired IP address. From there, yes, you can generally set the address to whatever you desire. Just make sure you're on the same subnet as the rest of the equipment, and that you don't duplicate an existing IP address on that subnet. 

If your Allen Bradley device has rotary dials to set the IP address, you'll need to set the dials to 999, then access the configuration tab.