• Devicenet
    • DF1, DH485 & DH+
    • Profibus DP, FMS, PA
    • Foundation Fieldbus
    • Modbus plus & RTU
    • SERCOS
    • ASI
    • Others

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

14 posts in this topic

My vote to Ethernet

Network comparison chart

I agreeably disagree and vote ControlNet for now if the network must handle realtime IO. Ethernet is great for HMI and SCADA applications, but I've read too many "horror" stories about IO to make that jump yet. If you can install Ethernet IO according to the guidelines and maintain control of your machine Ethernet without losing it to the IS department. Then maybe it will be a good thing. Just don't think my company is ready to handle it correctly and don't want the headache of a bad implementation.

please visit to have feel on ethernet http://www.ab.com/networks/site-index.html

Thanks for the link praveen, but no matter how well trained I am when the "IT Kid" want's to swap my switch with his to see if his switch is the cause of his problem in the data center and my whole machine burps and stops. Till I can prevent that Ethernet will not survive on our machines between the CPU and the IO.

It is advisable that Control LAN & Office laN should be Interlinked

On what planet. Control Lan is Control Lan and Office Lan is Office Lan and ne'er the twain shall meet has been the mantra I've heard for years and seen proven a good way to go time and again. Now you say throw it all on the same subnet and wire. Or did I read you wrong?

I agree completely, and voted ControlNet as well. Even though I'm not very well educated about ControlNet (have troubles with the dang keeper), I've never had an issue. Ethernet a whole other story. I've had multiple issues with DeviceNet as well. Is there some goo training out there to help us with ControlNet?

sorry wrongly posted It should not be interlinked

Unfortunately, this is kind of like asking "What's your favorite: Dodge or John Deere?" Each of these networks are great - for what they're designed for and at the height of their popularity. Yes, they can be cross-applied to functions other than their native design, but... E.g. I wouldn't try to collect SCADA information over ASI and I'm not real interested in device-communication/control over Ethernet.

I'm missing WLAN. :P Actually my last project implemented control (sic!) over that network. :)

What !?!? No Remote I/O selection? DRAT!

You need a CIP protocol option. One of the great features of Ethernet/IP, Controlnet, and Devicenet that gets lost in the flame wars is that they can seemlessly work together. You network can be a mix of all of these. My last network was a mixture of them Now yes, you none AB guys are saying well Controlnet is an AB protocol...Yes it is, but mixing Devicenet and Ethernet/IP can be a great design also.

Already did this POLL a while ago: http://www.mrplc.com/cgi-bin/vote/vcenter....w&topic=bus