Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
donles

recommended laptops?

14 posts in this topic

I need to buy a laptop for use with RSLogix 500 and RSLogix 5. I'd like to keep the price down and from what I've seen on Rockwell's website, the requirements are not all that much. Does anyone have a favorite laptop brand or model? Thanks Don Lesniakowski

Dell Latitude Series. Make SURE you get a "real" serial port. I am running a D800 with a WIDE Screen. That is sweet for ladder logic.....

This is absolutely and probably one of the most important pieces of advise. I am getting a new laptop from work also, and itsgoing to be a dell latitude. Someone else here might know better but a PCMCIA RS232 card might be as good as a real serial port, but a USB to SERIAL convert is NOT the answer. I'm using a P4 Del inspiron 8200 currently and it works judt fine, although a little bulky... Hope this helps a little...Everyone has an opinion, buy what you like, but get a real serial port machine and youll be ok.

PCMCIA cards are being obsoleted too. Chakorules is giving you a conservative approach which is good depending on what other software you need to run with a serial port. Personally I ditched the serial port when I got my last laptop and use a USB to Serial adapter. This will work fine with RsLinx. What other software do you forsee yourself using that will be calling serial port?

I use a Dell laitude also. Comes with a serial port, and I'll second the wide screen comments.

I'm with TW Controls my current laptop doesn't have a serial port. I use a Belkin usb to serial adapter , it's actually called a PDA adapter. It works fine with RSLinx. The only issue that I have is that I cannot "talk" to SLC 503 series using a PIC.

Yes, I should have mentioned the PIC. I used the 1747-UIC in its place. I have heard of issues with the PIC and Windows XP too but can't verify how it works with the PIC

Thanks everyone. The Latitude D800 is now the D820. That's what I'm asking for. Don Lesniakowski

I have a Dell Latitude D820. It is rock solid, but personally, i buy my work laptop for the warrenty and reliability. 3 year NBD warrenty from dell has saved my life once or twice over the years. If you laptop does not have a "real" serial port, maybe you can be the first to try a Expresscard serial adapter, which i presume will offer the same level of compatability as a pcmcia solution, but will be more futureproof

I agree with Kyle If you get the dell, get the extra warranty - they have been great at repairs caused by "external" forces - like a torque wrench smashing a keypad, a LCD screen broken by tools in the bag, etc. If you use this to make a living like I do, you can't beat their warranty & service

Yeah man, I've fried a few laptops due to the roads i drive on up here, and im always in a hurry, so its usually bomb the laptop into the back of the truck and haul booty to the next site. lol. Dells warranty kicks booty

it is a little pricie but it is worth it if your going to use a lot I have an allienware mobil workstation it has every port you can think of for those realy odd jobs Edited by chad

How does the Alien do in adverse environments {Dust, Dirt, OIl mist etc} like is found at many job sites. I find a cheaper "throw away" someimte is more cost effective. Even if the 9 month or yearly replacement is a pain.

I personnaly prefer Panasonic Tough books, great computers and tough as nails. A little pricey, but you get what you pay for. I had mine drop from 10 feet, left a dent in the floor, no dent in computer and it was running at the time