Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bill Estey

Screen Conversion

13 posts in this topic

Could anyone give me some direction in converting a 620 S to a NS-12 the existing 620 s screen is blank the run light is on but there are no screens showing and I have a NS-12 in stock. Thanks for any help

don't understand what do you mean by that. Normal procedure would be: try to upload program from nt620 using NT Support Tool 4.7, then replace PT to NT631, then use NT31C_631C Conversion Support Tool from CX-Designer to convert it to NS12 application. then download it to NS12 operator panel. hope this helps a bit. Regards

Is the backlight on ? You might want to check the PT control area's first register value. If it points to an non-existing screen number it might give you a blank screen, I'm not sure with NT620S but worth a try. Procedure: From NTST, go to Tools > PT Configuration > Control/Notify area > Control area. The register mentioned is the screen number control register and represents the actual screen number currently displayed. Check the register's value in the PLC. Second suggestion is to to upload the project, initialize screen memory and download. Procedure: Press any 2 corners of the screen at the same time > press transmit mode. Now connect your programming cable and from NTST go to connect > Upload > Application. To initialize memory, from the system menu go to maintenance > init. memory > Screen memory. Repeat the steps for memory table. To download the project, put the system menu in transmit mode, connect your cable and from NTST go to connect > Download > Application. Hope this helps.

This sounds like the PLC program, rather than the the NT620S. If there is a run light but no screen showing, then the PT control area is pointing the touchscreen to a screen number that doesn't exist. I would investigate the first word of the PT control area to see what the value is. Somebody walk him through how to find the PT Control area. I'm tied up right now.

That's what I call a die hard Jay - so tied up it took you 20 minutes to post the reply but still

In response to Jay's post. Hit two opposite corners on the screen. This should take you to the main menu. Touch the Maintenance mode touch switch. Touch the PT setting touch switch. This screen should show the PT Control Area and PT Notify Area starting addresses. Check the value of the first word in the PT Control area in the processor. It MUST be a valid screen number. Pretty sure 0 (zero) is NOT a valid screen. Change the value to a know existing screen number and that screen should be displayed. Hope this will help.

The PT area currently has a valid # showing I can change the # and still nothing is on the screen. This application has been operational for a few years.When I touch the screen corners nothing happens except the run light goes out which makes me believe that it is a screen problem. Looking in the manual the NT 620 S does not have a backlight since it is electroluminescent. I do not have the correct NT software version to convert the screens to the NS-12.I am woring on trying to find it. Thanks for the help so far

Send me the NT620S application (attach in a PM). I will see if I can convert it to NS12. Two things. What version NS or CX designer are you running ? What is the exact NS12 model and system version ? edit I was curious so I tried converting a 620S project. It is possible, but the results may not be what you expect. It is certainly not convert-download-done. First the project needs to be converted in NTST to NT631, whereafter it is converted to NT631C. This file can be opened by the NT31C/631C conversion tool in NS/CX designer to a NS10 project, which can be converted to NS12 using NS/CX designer. A lot of graphic details are lost, but the most important thing is bit and word adressing of objects is preserved, as well as screen switch button settings. Some examples: Bad becomes Not too bad becomes If you ask me you are better off buying a used NT631( C ), the application is as good as ready for use after conversion. If you still wish to convert to NS you have the time to rebuild the project.

As i can understand system menu is not accessible since the screenn is black. when you press to oposite corner it must go to system menu. now open the manual and see how the system menu looks like and try to press the position on the screen you expect, based on the pic in the manual, the button (touch switch). then try to go to transmit mode and upload the application with NT Support Tool 4.7 (or lower version, i think 3.3 is ok too). I had similar problem recently when customer with NT20s with no backlight came. I used metod described above, uploaded wiht NT DOS, converted to NT21 application and sold him one. there is a little catch with NT31C_631C Conversion Support Tool which I'll explain later if we came to that stage with this problem, no time now. Hope this helps. regards.

At least we got him on the right track....Thanks all.

You might want to check dipswitch 2-3 for OFF position. This disables the system menu when ON.

I wander if the ribbon cable between the screen and the PCB has come loose ?

We were able to convert the screens using an NT V4.7 Thanks for all the posts