Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
panic mode

WinXP Home to Pro...?

12 posts in this topic

Interesting article (here is english translation): http://www.heise.de/ct/english/05/12/148/ They did couple years ago similar thing with Win NT 4.0 Workstation when they converted it to NT Server. The difference was that at that time conversion was 100% success (there was no way to detect difference between real and DIY server, all upgrades worked etc.). All they did back then was make two small changes with hex editor and burn everything to a new disc.

My first question would be, "Is that legal?"

Good question, I don't know... The article showed up in december issue and I just found that translation was posted on their website. c't is biggest (ok, the BEST) computer magazine in Germany and they would know what to print. I'm not legal expert but I don't see why not. Is it legal to put Jaguar figurine on Ford pinto or spray paint Porche 911 on it's door? If someone pays for the product, he is more than entitled to use it any way he wants (personal use or amusement). Making copies and distributing them or affecting image or profits of the vendor is another story. This wasn't the intent. All files are already on the CD, personal copies of the CD are legal and slipstreaming is used on a daily basis to update your old install CD with latest servicepack. Messing with OS beyond everyday's normal use voids warranty but this is about it. There was no legal action of Microsoft against heise verlag even for the mentioned NT patch. I think Microsoft just got smarter after that so some parts of the server version are simply no longer on workstation CDs or Pro on Home edion CDs (as visible at the end of the article). do i care? not much... this came too late, I already bought XP Pro. If it is for work, I would still buy real thing just in case I have to call tech support for any software issue so I don't need to explain what version of OS I'm running (probably first question anyone would ask). I just liked the story I still think this was an interesting article...

Interesting article. Has anyone tried it?

"3. RESERVATION OF RIGHTS AND OWNERSHIP. Microsoft reserves all rights not expressly granted to you in this EULA. The Software is protected by copyright and other intellectual property laws and treaties. Microsoft or its suppliers own the title, copyright, and other intellectual property rights in the Software. The Software is licensed, not sold." That first line is a killer......

maybe they are behind this: http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=32550

There are days I wish mine would just blow up

Thanks for the link! I'll have to give it a try, specifically so that I can run RS VIEW 32. Ran into a major problem last year when we ended up using new AB pannels on a machine. I had to dig an old PII laptop out of retirement just so I could field service my pannels! This could be a lot less painful.

I doubt it. Dell had a run of bad lithium Ion batteries from SONY and had to recall them. They failed by overheating when charging and catching the laptop on fire. Suitable that a SONY battery caught fire in Japan don't you think. BTW - Lithium Ion batteries are the latest thing to be tried in hybrid cars. Can you imagine 120 laptop batteris under the hood of your car catching fire like this. OOPS we have a battery recall. So Sorry.

I like the quote at the end of that article... Great Balls Of Fire !!!!

You're assuming that you're in a country where EULA's are legally binding - which luckily are very few actually. (At least in Sweden, contractual law doesn't allow shrinkwrap contracts, as you didn't get the option to deny them, a mandatory part of a contract in Swedish law)

Yes I did assume. I did, as most Americans do, forget that the rest of the world exists. As for us in the US, EULA's are legally binding. We have the option to open, and thereby accept, the EULA, or we can take it back and get a refund.