Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bigjoe

dmov

15 posts in this topic

Hi, just want to ask what is meant by the prefix D, e.g. DMOV? also want is meant by PID? regards, johnny

Sounds to me the DMOV instruction moves a double word instead of one. PID means Proportional Integral Derivative control. If you google on PID control you'll find lot's of information. You can find some basic information at Wikipedia.

Transfers the 32-bit data of the device specified at S to the device specified at D.

--[DMOV D0 D10]- Would move the contents of D0 & D1 to D10 & D11 Precautions to take are that (in this case) D1 and D11 have not to be used anywhere else in the program. It is easy to overlook that you are using a 32 bit mov when using contiguous registers later in the program.

Bigjoe, With all my respect, such basic questions should not be asked on forums. It means you did not even bother to read manual. Edited by Sergei Troizky

Shall we let the moderators decide on that ? Imho there's no such thing as stupid or too simple questions, only stupid and too simple answers. I agree with you if a user repeatedly asks questions which are of common knowledge to most of us and it shows the user doesn't take any effort him/herself to study on a subject before asking more questions on the same subject, you could tell the user do some reading on the subject first. But I don't think that's the case here. Anyway, telling users not to post their questions is not up to us don't you agree !? What if I was some kind of genius and considered your questions to be too easy while for you it's not, how would you feel if I told you to go and read something first... You just stepped on my toes because sometimes I also have those questions and I am glad I can ask them here. No hard feelings though.

I totaly agree, I sometimes have questions which may seem trivial to some but are of real concern to me and no matter how many times you read the manual it just dosent sink, sometimes a a simple reply from another user from another angle is all it needs. Lets not make anyone afraid to ask a simple question for fear of riddicule. We all had to start somwhere. Thorny

I never told anybody not to post questions. All I tell is- read manual first and try to understand it yourself. Especially if this is basics. If not understood, or one cannot access manual, or the issue is unclear/unlisted in the manual (and believe me I know it well enough to judge), then I gladly provide help. Just see my other posts to ensure. Edited by Sergei Troizky

Sergei, with all due respect I am reading the manual, It's just that I don't understand some of it so I ask the question here. It may be basic to you but not to the others. We can always ask decent simple question here, I beleive. regards, johnny

The only one who can judge is the one reading the manual. You can't judge for other people. I'm not doubting your contributions on the forums.

I've worked with plc programmers that had no clear idea what bits and words are, so something like dmov would be difficult for them to grasp. Those would be the "relay replacement" folks. PID could also mean Piping & Instrumentation Diagram for the plumbing folks, tho usually that's writted P&ID. In the days before math capable PLCs just PID was common. Just something to watch out for when Googling. I miss the 5TI. No processor!

Well, this starts looking a classic flame. I expressed my opinion, anybody is free to have his own. But I have seen many forums with grains of useful information burried under tons of questions like the one discussed.

You are never gonna win this one mate. How you rate the technicallity of a question depends on where you stand in the chain. Do you know (without looking at the big book) every instruction that The FX range can perform including correct syntax? The ones you dont know - someone else will because they were just working with them last week. Data manipulation is still a stumbling block for many beginners. Especially if they are electricians just moving up from relay control to plc. 'What is a PLC' is probably a basic question and you dont have to answer. Anything above this is usually a genuine question.

Come on guys. That's about enough. Everyone is entitled to ask or respond. That's the whole idea of a public forum. Knock off the attacks...