Hann

Cx-Programmer Remote Ethernet Rack

18 posts in this topic

Has any configured a remote ethernet rack using the CJ Platform?
Scenario:
Local Rack: PSU + PLC + Ethernet Card
Remote Rack: PSU + Ethernet Card + IO...
Then using network configurator, I make an input output map for the remote rack. To send and receive the data from the remote rack.

I have found this link which I think relates to my question, But I just want to see if any out there has done it and has some more detail, to another doc that they can link.

The final stage would be to set us up to migrate to the NJ platform when the time comes using the existing IO.

Consider using the -EIP21 card instead, for more convenience when later converting to the NJ/NX family.

I happy to use any card, I am just not sure on the particulars of the configuration.

When using the NX remote IO make to determine the Input and Output sizes to then use in Network configurator. But I am not seeing what the equivalent is on the CJ platform. How do I set up the remote rack, what software am I using.

Thanks

Edited by Hann
Spelling

The EIP21 card is built to use EtherNet/IP and the CX's network configuration tools to set up the data blocks.  The NJ/NX platform has maximum flexibility with EtherNet/IP, not with FINS.

We do want to move away from FINS.

If I understand you correctly, Inside of Network configurator (Somewhere) I can create data blocks for the EIP21 card, such that I can use it as a remote rack. Is there any documentation surrounding this?

I have only used network configurator to link Ethernet devices together, as the blocks are normally handled by the EDS for something like a VSD, or Sysmac, if you are using NX Remote IO

Edited by Hann

I don't actually have any CJ-family gear processors, just NJ, and am familiar with the EIP21 because you can use it with NJ processors too (for extra capacity beyond what the built-in EtherNet/IP offers).  I recommend you start with Omron manual W465.

I've never seen a CJ EIP Coupler Unit (or Bus Master) of sorts, which is what would be needed to head a remote CJ rack.

The CJ2 brochure advertises using NX for EIP remote I/O. As pturmel suggests, the EIP21 would be the ideal unit for the main rack. This would give the flexibility of using Omron's NX, GX or even third party remote EIP I/O.

Is there a reason you require remote CJ modules?

CS-CJ-CP-Series-New-Functions-Brochure.pdf (omron.com)

@IO_Rack, That is what I needed confirmation on. It was not clear to me if CJ EIP Coupler Unit existed, the Omron Rep confused me on this matter.

It does look like the NJ controllers support the same rack configuration as the CJ series.
If I understand things correctly, I should just be able to swap out the CJ2 controller and Slot in a NJ controller.  

If I want to do remote IO then I need to use the NX Io Platform, (which can talk to the CJ and NJ PLC's)

8 hours ago, Hann said:

That is what I needed confirmation on. It was not clear to me if CJ EIP Coupler Unit existed, the Omron Rep confused me on this matter.

I have over 30 years experience using Omron automation products. That doesn't mean that I've seen it all. Please double check me on this. Maybe with a better understanding, you can speak with your Omron rep again. Or someone here can correct me.

8 hours ago, Hann said:

It does look like the NJ controllers support the same rack configuration as the CJ series.
If I understand things correctly, I should just be able to swap out the CJ2 controller and Slot in a NJ controller. 

This is absolutely correct, and by design. Omron is one of the best manufacturers at backwards compatibility. The "C" and "N" are different programming platforms where the "J" is the hardware rack connection. 

8 hours ago, Hann said:

If I want to do remote IO then I need to use the NX Io Platform, (which can talk to the CJ and NJ PLC's)

If you want to use remote I/O, you may use any platform you wish. This is the beauty of EtherNet/IP (EIP) protocol. Please note EtherNet/IP is "Industrial Protocol" and is not the same as standard Ethernet.

If you choose NX ("X" style rack configuration), you would likely have an easier setup and Omron support, although there are many reputable third party EIP remote units out there. 

Also note, if you wish to use an NJ/NX programming platform, please take a look at the NX controllers. It looks as though you want to do this in stages but, if you are not replacing a CJ2, you won't necessarily require the NJ. There are a wide range of specifications on both NJ and NX controllers.

If you want a remote Omron EIP rack you need to use NC-EIC202 that is their NX remote IO coupler for EIP.

You setup the exchange in CX-One's Network Configurator.

In my example 192.168.26.114 is a Omron CJ2H talking to two remote NX EIP io racks, 192.168.26.131 and 192.168.26.132.

NetConfig0.JPG.aa39dc5b9a7d963d94eeba09a

You will first need to connect to the EIC202 with USB and Sysmac Studio or the NX IO Configuration(I think they have a standalone tool so you don't need to buy the full sysmac license). This is how you add the NX io units to the coupler.

When you are done with that you can use Network Configurator to set the EIC202's IP address. Once you can connect to the coupler you can upload from it and verify the number of input and output bytes.

There manuals are usually pretty good. Hopefully these snips help.

NetConfig2.thumb.JPG.ecba5d88b46205cdc5f

NetConfig1.JPG.0682e222030d91d0478a4fa5e

On 12/14/2023 at 7:05 AM, IO_Rack said:

There are a wide range of specifications on both NJ and NX controllers.

I've noted that the NX family has more options for high-end horsepower, but the NJ's ability to use one or more of the CJ1W-EIP21 modules makes it much more capable for total EtherNet/IP class1 I/O and tag exchange.  And the NJ can scan NX remote I/O just fine.

41 minutes ago, pturmel said:

I've noted that the NX family has more options for high-end horsepower, but the NJ's ability to use one or more of the CJ1W-EIP21 modules makes it much more capable for total EtherNet/IP class1 I/O and tag exchange.  And the NJ can scan NX remote I/O just fine.

I agree as far as comparison to the built-in ports. Have you seen the new NX-EIP201? I've only browsed the specs and haven't used one yet.

The original poster eluded to performing this in stages so the CJ1W-EIP21 and NX I/O would be my choice with no question about performance. I usually like to compare cost vs. performance. The NX series tends to be most cost effective. 

1 person likes this

Hopefully a similar unit is released for the NX1 series. Being limited to only the builtin ethernet ports is a pain. 

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, IO_Rack said:

NX-EIP201

Well, that's just beautiful.  Next project will be NX5.

If only omron would release some more communication modules like profibus/devicenet for the NX range. Retrofit's would be so much simpler. 

It seems to me that the Japanese PLC manufacturers are slow to release new products to the market. It also seems to me that they are generally more dependable than other manufacturers once they are released.

Maybe that's just in my head. :)

1 person likes this

On 12/23/2023 at 3:15 AM, chelton said:

If only omron would release some more communication modules like profibus/devicenet for the NX range. Retrofit's would be so much simpler. 

You could probably use another vendors remote IO with their PLC. A person would have to research it.

On 12/13/2023 at 5:29 PM, Hann said:
Has any configured a remote ethernet rack using the CJ Platform?
Scenario:
Local Rack: PSU + PLC + Ethernet Card
Remote Rack: PSU + Ethernet Card + IO...
Then using network configurator, I make an input output map for the remote rack. To send and receive the data from the remote rack.

I have found this link which I think relates to my question, But I just want to see if any out there has done it and has some more detail, to another doc that they can link.

The final stage would be to set us up to migrate to the NJ platform when the time comes using the existing IO.

There has never been a remote rack solution for Ethernet on the CJ Series.  You cannot simply slot an Ethernet module into a rack and expect it to control the rack.  Rack control is the job of the CPU.  Closest you can come would be get another low end CJ CPU for that remote.