Ron_S

Corrupt program?? GX works2

5 posts in this topic

Does anyone else suffer from this strange anomaly?

If I save a program using GX Works 2 onto my laptop hard drive - everything is fine and I can open it again at any time.

If I save it to a USB memory stick, once again, I can reopen it with the laptop, no bother.

But... If I then put the USB into my main PC, I immediately get an error that the USB is corrupt and needs repairing.

If I 'repair it' the GX file will not open.

If I ignore the repair message - I can open the program and everything is fine.

I can save it to the PC hard drive or the USB.

This is the same with any USB stick

Same operating system (win 10) on both.

In short, yes. Not necessarily with GX but with other industrial devices. I guess the formats can be very strange to Windows. I don't have an intimate knowledge of the issue.

1 person likes this

try to reformat the USB drive and start fresh. 

I have one flash drive that always tells me to repair or fix but i just ignore it. 

Windows wants to make everything conform to the latest and greatest format.  Don't let it, as that is not friendly to long-lived industrial devices.  It is part of Microsofts' "Embrace, Extend, Extinguish" methodology.  (To force you to use modern Windows wherever possible.)

1 person likes this

I find that this issue occurs if the USB stick is removed without first using Windows to shutdown the stick and wait for it to tell you it is safe to remove it, if you just pull it out after use then when plugged back in any PC or laptop, Windows reports there is an error with the stick and requests you 'fix it', Just ignore the message and carry on, It's just Windows nanny operating system kicking in

Steve