11 posts in this topic

Hey everyone,

I'm new to programming PLCs and I've run into a problem. I have a Micrologix 1400 Series B PLC, and for the past month, I've been using a free trial of RSLogix 500 Starter. But now, the trial ran out, and so I bought a license for "RSLogix Micro Starter". The problem is that when I downloaded my updated file to the PLC for the first time with micro starter, the PLC's outputs don't work anymore. I checked the PLC screen and the inputs from the HMI screen are getting recognized, but the inputs from the physical sensors are not. Also, none of the outputs are being activated on the PLC at all, which I can tell by looking at the I/O status on the PLC screen itself.

I then uploaded a new test program, where you press a button and a light turns on, but that doesn't work either.

I haven't changed any of the physical wiring, only thing I've changed is that I'm using RSLogix Micro Starter as opposed to RSLogix 500 Starter. I spoke to a Rockwell technician about this and he said that there shouldn't be any problem, as I haven't done anything wrong. So I now ask everyone on this forum if they could help me out a bit.

Is the PLC's RUN light on?  My suspicion is you are in program mode.  While online is RsLogix 500, go to Communications then RUN mode.

Yup, the PLC's RUN light is on, so that isn't the issue.

Are you calling the subroutine, if the logic is in anything other then ladder 2?

Yessir, I'm using JSR whenever I need to jump to a different file. And the thing is that the program was working perfectly fine before I changed my RSLogix version. So the same ladder logic that worked on the PLC before doesn't work anymore and the only reasoning I can think of is the change in the programming software.

did you try manually setting the outputs on? are you sure there is nothing clearing them?

did wiring change at all? problem started after program download?

Yea I tried manually turning on the outputs on my laptop but that didn't change anything.

The wiring hasn't been altered, and the problem only started after the first download to the PLC with the "RSlogix Micro Starter" edition.

I've never used the RSLogix Micro Starter edition.  Does it have a restricted instruction set?  If so, does the legacy program use any of the restricted features?

4 hours ago, Mani6264 said:

Yea I tried manually turning on the outputs on my laptop but that didn't change anything.

You "forced" the outputs on and they did not turn on?

Post the .RSS file and maybe someone can spot something.

I have had similar experience with the MicroLogix 1400. 

For the project, make sure you verify the project. 

Go online with the PLC and Clear Processor Memory. then re-download the project. 

Hope this helps

On 7/26/2023 at 8:08 PM, pturmel said:

I've never used the RSLogix Micro Starter edition.  Does it have a restricted instruction set?  If so, does the legacy program use any of the restricted features?

I have been using that version for several years and it has no restrictions. (for a Micrologix 1400) and I never had any issues with it.

As a test, start with a new program, ladder 2 only, and just take some inputs and energize a few outputs with each input.

-----| |--------( )---

I:0/0        O:0/0

Mike

1 person likes this