Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
slav321

Reasonable labor cost.

15 posts in this topic

Hi We have some eqipment to modify....which includes new hardware(PLC),new program,wiring etc,we had a few guys came in to see the job....i would like to know what is the reasonable/average cost for these kind of jobs. Thanks.

Can you be more specific? How much wiring? How much I/O to change? Are these guys already familar with the machine? They will probably get a Tech/Electrican to do the wiring etc.. and an engineer to program.

Hi It's hard to be specific,that's why i asked what is the average cost for programming/wiring....more or less,...it's aprox 120 I/Os,10 analog. Thanks.

In my area of the United States- $125 Hour Edited by jrw

I understand it's for programming,and wiring? Also,i believe if it's a long job the hourly cost can be reduced? Thanks.

Go get 3 quotes Have them break out wiring vs programming and every area of the world is different What PLC brand is this?

Well,now it's S5,i am cosidering S7-300 or 1200 or Micrologix....wiring is not a big issue,i just want to see if wiring done by contractor more or less in range of home electrician's salary,if it is,so i'll have contractor do it,if not,i'm gonna see. Thanks.

Anywhere from 80-100/hour, depending on location, economy, etc. for the programming. For union electricians, you might be paying around the same amount for the wiring, but that's a little out of my experience.

I have seen rates up to $125/hr and the company was busy. It somewhat depends on who is selling and what they have to offer - and of course area of the country matters. I'm in a fairly low cost area so I would expect rates to be higher than what I have mentioned. I assume from your text that you are having them quote rates for time and materials type of project. Maybe to get a better idea you might see if they will put a time estimate with it. An experienced programmer at 100/hr can be equal to a newbie at $50/hr. If its mods to an existing system that are not well defined they may decline to give a time estimate. In this case I would ask for information on the controls professional they would have working on your job, past experience, etc. You should already have recommendations on the company to insure they are not leaving a string of unsatisfied customers behind.

Going rates in my area is 100-120 USD per hour plus expenses.

Anywhere from $75 to $125 per hour in my neck of the woods. And when it comes to the Electricains wiring the stuff, don't get the guys that just did an awesome job on the Company President's new summer home to wire your PLC. Make sure they have automation experience and references. You'll thank yourself later for doing it. And yes there's a story to the above comment I'll save for a later time.

When I was at a company we had firms work for us from 50~250hr. One firm sent an old guy who wasn't any less than amazing. This guy had been there and done that more times that all of us put togher. I still use most of the tricks he had shown me. It has already been said ask about the person doing the work. I have called company xyz and gotten an average Joe one time and the next time gotten a miracle worker with more rabbits in his hat than we knew what do do with.

OK guys for those of us that quote work. Do you all seem to get more jobs if they don't see the hr rate and just get a total? I am new to this quoting stuff and am working on how to present the quote. I found that a more than a few of my customers fall on the floor when they see the Hourly rate even before they look at the total . The same quote without the hourly rate doesn't seem to bother them. Does anybody else get these same reactions?

That does seem to be a common response, but when we have to put an hourly rate on something, it seems to work better if we include a 'not to exceed' number in there somewhere. Usually that is above and beyond what we expect to bill, but it gives them an idea what the max is and from an accounting perspective, it is hard to present a project to management for approval and get a PO cut if there is no solid number to work with. Unless you have complete control of your maintenance budget it is hard to get someone to sign off on an open-ended deal.

Actually we raise the price is the job gets longer.