Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
robh

MicroLogix 1500 Comms

16 posts in this topic

In the near future I will be building a control system for one of our production machines. At this time I will be using a MicroLogix 1500, 1764-24AWA with an LRP processor, and a PanelView Standard 2711-K10G3. These two devices will be connected together with a 1761-NET-AIC to CH1 on on the MicroLogix. I would also like to connect a 1761-NET-ENI or 1761-NET-ENIW to CH0 so I would have the ability to connect this little network to our plant network for programming and data collection. Is this a legitimate way of doing this? What are some things to consider or to be aware of with this setup? One of the reasons for not using an Ethernet PanelView and one ENI to the MicroLogix is because of existing equipment in the facility that match the DH-485 stuff. Whadda ya think? Rob

That all sounds legit. to me. Just be aware that the NET-ENI is still limited to the speed of the serial connection. Also, I have had trouble leaving them set to Auto baud when the serial port is set for 38.4k. They seem to be just fine with Autobaud when the serial port speed is set at 19.2k. And, the number of simultaneous connections supported by the NET-ENI is limited, so do all your data gathering from one device on the network, not several, that way you still have free connections to use with RSLogix... Paul

I strongly recommend to consider ML1100 or ML1400. Both have on-board Ethernet port and online-editing (which is not available in ML1500). 

I am expecting that the data gathering will be very minimal, mostly for troubleshooting. This machine is located in our TX facility and I am in Oregon. One of the big hang ups we have is when I need to add change or fix something I'm talking over the phone to somebody who has limited experience with this stuff and a lot gets lost in translation. Whats hooked up, what driver are you using, is it the right cable sort of stuff. We use LabView for most of our process data. Which brings up another use for the enet, allowing LabView to monitor specific bits and integers. But thats a different story.

Just commenting on the remote access aspects. We are located in Washington (the state) and the customer's machine, like robh's, is in Texas. They had the expertise to set up a VPN directly to the machine PLC. So when I contact it (note: only after being requested and verified that the caller is physically at the machine and in control) the control is great. Very little lag time. With their observations of machine actions I am able to guide them in troubleshooting and make small online program changes. It has changed what could be days of downtime into minutes. If it isn't clear, I'm not accessing a PC at their end running the programming software. The software is running on my local machine but contacting the PLC inside the customer's plant. I know others have done this but this is our only customer who has set this up.

I had a similar problem but I chose to use SLC 5/05. This processor has internet communication ports. All this input and output module, whatever you need can be put in. I hope that helped you out!

WOW! mercedes98 for whatever reason I didn't even think about an SLC. I'm thinking thats probably the direction I will go. Thanks! Rob

This might change your mind. And that is just the controller. Edited by Mickey

SEARCH WEB OR ON E-BAY 1747-L553 $880-$3000

So far just using the list prices off the AB site, the equivilantish SLC 5/05 system of what I was looking at with the MicroLogix 1500 is about $2800 more. Well worth it in this instance... I think.

You mentioned AC inputs twice. Was this a mistake? Did you mean AC outputs in one instance? It still may be possible with ML1400. Do not forget, that unlike SLC, you will get 20I/12O and 4AI on the main unit. Or, put two ML1400 units on the Ethernet network, along with HMI(s) and programming PC.

Yeah it was supposed t be 2 16 pt outputs and 3 16 pt ac inputs. 1 am is way to early to be at work!

Well, I would put two ML1400 on Ethernet network.

Specifically because of cost?

Mostly, but I also expect little better scantime with ML, and you will have low-cost high-speed capabilities should you need them. Be careful however, and ensure that the ML analog input and termocouple module specifications meet your needs. Also, it will be more expansion modules with ML, as they are mostly 8-point, except digital I/O 16-point ones. Edited by Sergei Troizky

Based on the rest of your data I'd consider Logix 5000 "lite" and a CompactLogix L23E or L32E. The expansion and capabilities are much closer to what you are doing. You can get a processor and a bunch of I/O cards ONE TIME using the "starter" kit that AB sells. I don't believe you'll be very far off price-wise, the speed will be way better than the Micrologix or SLC 5/05, and you can use distributed I/O with it, which frequently actually lowers the cost of the system by reducing the amount of wiring (in spite of various other costs increasing).