Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sleepy Wombat

New Laptop

9 posts in this topic

Yes I am awake (for the moment) I know this comes up from time to time but technology changes and software etc etc. Besides, mine is okay at the momement, but i an upgrading cause i fell mine might be on the way out... Latest dilema's.... Windows XP SP 3 seems to be a bag of ... I do have Win XP Pro XP 2 already... mmm.. Newer laptops from Dell anyways will not be shipped with XP at all after the 18th June 2008. Newer laptops of couse have no serial port and also PCMCIA are on the way --- see Express Card Slot.. Dual booting Vista with XP is possible although it seems quite involved. Any thoughts on Express Card Serial Ports etc or opionions.. I know that at least Omron supports Vista..... what are the other migration paths for AB/Siemens/Mitsu etc thanks

At least here in the states Dell has put the serial port back on many of their business line of computers. According to my brief research, the entire Latitude line of laptops come with serial ports. I haven't looked into other brands, but I have seen newer HP laptops with serial ports. Dell also ships computers with Linux now. I don't know if that makes them cheaper (haven't checked), but if so you could get one and transfer your existing license of XP.

I agree - XP SP2 is your best bet at the moment. Vendors are working on Vista support (and have been for > a year) and MS seems to keep pushing back the XP support dates. You can get express card -> PCMCIA adapters like this. I've never used them and probably never will. If programming PLCs is what you do, use Ethernet as much as possible and make sure your laptop has an integrated serial port. Don't think I presented any new info - just confirmed that you're still right on track. Recent new laptops are focusing on things like TV tuners and HDMI outputs to augment their powerful (sometimes dual) gaming graphics cards. Backwards as far as PLC programmers are concerned. Our "top features" are the outdated ones - maybe your best place to shop is ebay.

Interesting. I wonder if we're heading in the direction of dedicated programmers for PLCs. Deja vu!

You should ask Chris... http://shopv2.mrplc.com/product_info.php/products_id/79 But I think that it would good, I know the PCMCIA work well. You can always go wireless :) then you don't have to worry about it at all...

Thanks for the Heads up on the Express card avail from Chris... doh... In OZ the Latitudes are avail from dell as well. Interseting times ahead me thinks...

I have a USB to Serial converter. The only issue i have with it is that i sometimes need to exit RSlogix, stop the driver in linx, and restart to get connected (allen bradley products). I actually have a newer HP Compaq nx7300 which came with serial. They should work on supporting the MAC OS instead of Vista. I'm going to purchase a Dell quickly so i can still get XP. Now for a rant: How is it that a company can determine what we get? aren't the people suppose to determine what they want? Supply and demand? Nobody likes Vista, but it's being shoved down our throats. Microsoft screwed up and we all have to pay for it. If anything, Microsoft is benefitting from screwing up because people will buy a computer with Vista and also purchase XP to make the switch back. EDIT- was going off what I heard from people. I purchase a home PC (not for work) with Vista and have had no problems. I actually like it. The sales guy told me the reason nobody likes Vista is because you may have to dl drivers, which seems like a big deal to the average computer owner, but for us, piece of cake. all that said, as consulting engineer, all this hardware becoming obselete it will make sales easier when trying to convince companies to upgrade their equipment. Edited by IamJon

We spoke about this the other day Sleepy and low and behold my trusty HP came up with "non system disk" I have been able to re-boot it once and hope I can again as I have been negligent and not backed up the last couple of projects. Thank heavens I can upload all my symbols etc from Omron PLCs these days but one job I have not backed up, including screens, is in Geelong - quite aways away fro you people OS - plane trip. Dell certainly have serial ports on many of their laptops and that is where I will be heading - with a 17" WXGA screen as well. I will have to borrow a laptop for a few days I think till the new one arrives. Will get Vista Business with XP Pro downgrade to start with. May try a dual boot system or a VM as suggested at plcs.net. Thanks Sleepy, I was going well until you told me your laptop was 'dickie'.

Dell has the M4300 workstation, man - o - man what a NICE machine.... Dell refurb for $1200 4GB of ram, XP Pro, and a SERIAL PORT!!! http://www.dell.com/content/products/produ...;l=en&s=biz This baby blows the Latitude 820 / 830 out of the water.