Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
brettshelley

Why do many people not reply to peoples questions?

12 posts in this topic

I am not here to blow up a storm or conduct critisism... But why is it that there are so many views of topics but 0 answers?? I know I might be out of place as a newby, but someone must have an answer? We all are learning and even though I have been in the PLC industry since I was sixteen this forum seems to be the best one I have seen so far, hence joining. Come on guys, lets help the people out there??!! Cheers & Happy New Year to you All

Can you give some examples of threads or sections you are talking about. From what I see most rarely go without at least one reply

aaaach, another demand, no it's just request.... agreed... there are only few guys that actually provide answers and it's unfair to expect them to do all work while majority that actually benefits from forum either doesn't have anything to offer or doesnt seam to be interested in sharing. soooooo... what is preventing you to be more active? i only see eight posts in two years and not one single answer... how would you motivate people to contribute?

Hah, an answer! Agreed, I have less posts, but without going into detail have been on the verge of death since my original posts (Illness) but now are here and building panels for customers once again! I am sitting in my lounge, drinking a glass of port thinking of the project that is doomed for failure within the bounds of my garage. How the hell do you manipulate an analogue pid variable to a pulsed ON/OFF? I have tried a PWM, a pulse timer with the MV value maniputated to adjust accordingly to the MV!!!! ARRRGGGHH.... There must me an easy way to adjust an output based on an analogue variable. Any ideas before I open the bottle of port and begin to simulate ideas into the morning!! Cheers

Are you sure you haven't already hit the bottle Also, you posted your thread on December 22. Most of the members or off on holiday right now

Remember that the View count goes up every time the thread is viewed, not just once per reader. I'll end up Viewing a thread I'm not contributing to a half-dozen times just to see what others are saying. Some of the reasons I'll read a thread but not post an answer: 1. The original post is of low quality. This includes obvious signs that I'm not going to be able to communicate effectively with the poster, and posts that show that the poster has a very low level of experience with electricity or automation. 2. The post is a topic that's been covered extensively in the past. I don't have the time in my life to explain the 1747-PIC/AIC+ driver yet again. That's what SEARCH functions are for. 3. The post bashes my employer. This happens a lot. Volunteering to help folks who are just going to complain at you is why I quit paramedic school. 4. Posts that include "I have tried everything but nothing works". These people don't need technical help, they need help with the fundamental principles of logic. That phrase is a particular irritant to me. 5. Posts that I genuinely can't help with. Every night as the USA sleeps, posts start to drift away from the Allen-Bradley gear that I'm expert with and into the Japanese and then German brands. I haven't used a Siemens controller in sixteen years, and I'm not going to be able to help somebody understand OB1. 6. Threads that have a half-dozen replies, and no response from the original poster. Even if you figure out the problem you posted about, it's good manners to post a followup to assist future browsers. Some of the best threads are ones that discuss principles and theory, instead of being Tech Support or problem solving threads. I wish there were more of those. I'm not much of a port guy. Whiskey is my cold-weather drink. Edited by Ken Roach

Do a search for sliding mode control... i believe that i did an excel spread sheet ages ago... and the guru Peter Natchway might even have a sample program some where... Also... considering that all advice is given freely .. although i am sure, that we would not knock back any renumeration if offered....mmm theres a thought... responses in a certain time for a nominal fee.. otherwise delayed responses.... sorry side tracked... also take into the equation that some of us run our own businesses... as you seem to be doing from your garage... or a gainfully employeed etc... i could go on and on.. but do you get the picture....

Whew, a slew of posts arrived in the time it took to write this. Sorry for what might appear to be some duplication of Ken Roach's post. Here's my take on it: I frequent 3 or 4 web forums, generally, on a daily basis. I particiapte in instrumentation (sensors, 4-20mA,), wireless, digital comm (Modbus, OPC), generic electrical troubleshooting & PC questions a) when I have a viable answer or something worthwhile to contribute. If someone asks a specific question about an AD06 shift register, I'm not the guy to answer his question. I work with PLCs, not on PLCs. b) when the poster offers so enough information to make it apparent that he is serious about 1) checking back for an answer 2) providing the inevitable additional information needed for a serious discussion. c) even when the OP has already gotten an answer, because I know some people search forums for answers and the info I provide wasn't mentioned and might benefit those future searchers. I do not reply a) when the question is so poorly formulated that it is clear that the poster is so out of touch that he is unaware that 1) those of us who might reply are not looking over his shoulder 2) None of us are clairvoyant, nor can we read his mind b) when I suspect it is a homework question. c) when the poster uses text messaging spelling or grammar. Grammar is a protocol for the precise and useful exchange of information via spoken/written language, and those who deliberately make it difficult by resorting to alternative grammars (which makes it difficult to read and comprehend) aren't worth my time to reply to. d) when the poster whines, or the subject line indicates the poster is looking for emotional support, more than a technical solution. I don't bother with whiny "I'm helpless, help me . . . posts." If the word "help" appears in the subject line, I don't even read the post. If posters want touchy-feely emotional re-inforcement, there are self help forums on the web or they can talk to a bartender. This does not exclude or impinge my private messaging or numerous friendly discussions, or even social meetings with forum participants. Only the whiners and emotional leeches excluded. e) on the posters' time schedule. A poster's emergency is not mine. This happened recently on another forum where the poster requested IM or telephone contact. I'm not an unpaid 'free' consultant, I charge for my services, except those that I freely offer via web forums, at my convenience, on my schedule. If one has an emergency, paid support in some form is entirely appropriate. And, to cap it off, in that case, it was apparent that the emergency could have easily been prevented with minimum due diligence - backing up a configuration. His failure to back-up does not constitute my emergency, nor warrant free consulting services. Dan

All very good reasons why not to reply on a topic. Of course the foundation and success of this forum lies with people helping other people out. But sometimes, although I could reply, I just don't feel like it. And that is what I like about this forum. There's no obligation. And sometimes I browse all the topics that have 0 replies, but most of them prove to either be too specific which limits the possible replies including mine, or others that fall under one of the categories Ken mentioned. And some days I feel like asking for better information or pointing someone in the right direction, and some days I don't. But there will always be lurkers and posters. And sometimes eventually the lurker is lured out of his cave and starts his first post. And sometimes they turn out to be the frequent posters. I still feel this forum has one of the best Q/A ratios when it comes to dedicated replies. No sense in posting just because there are 0 replies if the reply is off topic chit chat.

You can always look through ftp://ftp.deltacompsys.com/public/NG/ and ask questions. Most are on control but there are a few other topics like filters. I don't start threads on the theory stuff unless someone requests it. Some of the past theory threads took a lot of time.

I can say for one i am responsible for many responses, but also for many reads without responses. I look at messages on topics I don't understand to learn more, and I don't always respond to every topic i can if someone else has responded or if I am not 100% sure of the answer. As a trainer, I am not interested in giving inaccurate information.