Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PdL

NT3S Touch terminal

18 posts in this topic

For all of you using or going to use NT3S terminals, it uses a different programming cable than the standard Omron PLC/PT programming cable. It actually uses 2-2 3-3, 5-5 straight connection, so a standard 9 pin straight male/female will do. At first I used my standard Omron cable and discovered you can use it, but when you perform a download with this cable while the unit is connected with the PLC (it has two ports) you get download errors. Sometimes withing 1% of the download, sometimes within 90%, but it never succeeds. As soon as you unplug the PLC cable it downloads successful. I think it has to do with the signal ground as normal Omron PT (NS/NT) uses pin 9 as SG. But better use the straight cable, it works even when the unit is connected to the PLC. Don't want to end up with a damaged port on any side.... Comms cable between NT3S and Omron CPU host link port is as follows. [PLC]-------[NT3S] 2--------------3 3--------------2 9--------------5 I must say I am impressed with this powerpuppy . If you put some work in it you can create fairly extensive screens with menus, small bitmaps, trends, alarm screens etc. The resolution is small enough for the graphics to look good. You can even create template screens which you can apply on other screens just as sheets do with NS! It's I/O capabilities are also impressive. The software is tag based, and you can assign "tasks" to every touch object. These tasks can perform bit as well as register operations (set/reset/alternate/set value), and you can even create macro's of these tasks in your own preferred order. Math functions, data blocks, etc you name it.

Good to know pdl, just checked, they are just over half the price of the NS5 b&w down here, but that cost could soon be used up in engineering time..... But if doing multiples, then could be worthwhile using one. Is the software better than the NT2S?

Yes, definitely. Far more stable, like I say tag based. I don't know how many of the software features can also be used for NT2S. The engineering time is not nearly as much time consuming as with NT2S. Getting the screen page switches through the F buttons was a disaster. Now you simply have "goto next" and "goto previous" screen commands in the task lists. I am working on and off on a project for a week now but it will be repeated about 10 times so it's worth the time.

Hi Guys Functionally, they are good, but IMHO they are Omron's least reliable product. I must have sent ten back for repair.

NT2S yes, but NT3S ? That would be good to know ahead. I have also sent plenty of NT2S for repairs, but according to Omron the units which are powered from the PLC peripheral port are more sensitive to break down, better use separate 24VDC powered units.

Hi PdL Yes - NT3S. They are not made by Omron, but made in India. Good luck!!

Gee, thanks. Anything useful to know when/why they brake down ?

Hi PdL, As someone who knows a lot of both products I must say that quality on NT2S and NT3S are identical. From the past the NT3S has had a very bad start. Now the product has been improved as well as the SW to program the unit. Seen the problems that have been passed the last time most of them are user errors or old dated SW. With NT2S and NT3S it is important that you use the latest NTXS SW. As for two years now NTXS sw has been released for both NT2S and Nt3S. former Nt2S SW NT2ST has been replaced by NTXS and is no longer used. Still for NT2s alot of users I see using this old nonsupported SW for Nt2S. Any help needed on the products. Just let me know. Regards, MPM

Hi MPM, Thanks for restoring my confidence ! I am using NTXS V1.03, it runs driver version 06.00B.

Hi PdL, Do not forget to run the update. available on the OMRON website and is a must. regards, MPM

If you are referring to V1.03 update 14-02-2007, yes I got it.

I like the NT3S so much better then the NT2S, indeed a "power puppy" We use the screen in sewege pumpcontrol-units and I made some bitmaps that represent the installation. And there I'm having some trouble, sometimes the bitmaps won't show. Consider the bitmap as two layers over eachother and each layer has the animation property to show on a particular bit. Anyone any experience with this? I'm open to good ideas..... Carol Edited by Carol

Hi Carol, What object do you use ? A lamp with user defined off/on image ? Or do you use two separate objects ? One thing I notice now I am testing with a CJ1 while the driver selected is for CPM2A, is my animations and readings in my associated screens are erratic. I am getting the CPM2A today so I am hoping to see a difference. I do have a lamp with user defined on/off image in the base screen which does work...

Hi Carol, Is for these bitmaps the order with the other overlay correct? I am more than happy to have a look at it. PdL, What do you mean with erratic? Changing from PLC to PLC will not change the behaviour? differences are the comms settings and address ranges. Also over here I Can have a look. Regards, MPM

Hi MPM, I have sent you the project by PM. For instance I have created several template screens (1000 to 10010) which are associated to screens belonging to different menus and submenus. They provide a bottom line with a few readings and the only difference in the templates is the screen they return to when pressing the upper left icon. In this template I have 3 lamps with user defined on/off bitmaps. Regardless of the state of the HR bits the lamps are assigned to, in the one screen they flicker whilst the bit stays off in the PLC, in the next screen the lamp stays in one state. Also I have some data display objects which are related to DM tags, which show values that do not correspond with the PLC values, and more strange they change value when I toggle HR bits related to buttons in the same screen So I figured this must have to do with the fact I ave selected CPM2 as PLC driver, whilst it is connected to a CJ1. But now something else has come up, NTXS is acting very strange and it is not responding anymore (see picture). I think it is time for a reboot OK, back to live again Here's a pic of what I mean with erratic readings. The third icon on the left is actually flickering on/off state, but it's feedback tag is HR0.01, which is off in the PLC...

I learned from user MPM you cannot use objects that point to PLC data directly in assiociated screens, but you have to use NT internal memory for this. So now I use a global copy PLC block to NTXS block task which copies 4 registers constantly to NT internal D memory registers, which in turn I use to display the data in the associated screens. I have also configured a global copy RTC to PLC task which copies 7 registers of clock data to PLC memory, so the user can change the NT3 RTC, and sync the PLC RTC to this time through a button. I must say these 2 tasks cause a lagging screen performance, it is noticable slower now especially when entering data through the keypad screen. I have changed from 9k6 to 19k2 but it doesn't really matter. Perhaps with a higher baud rate it will be better but I will use a CPM2 which is limited to 19k2. Any ideas anyone ?

MPM, thnx for the offer to look at it. Point is, I've a new PC since one week and not all the programs are installed yet. Just for this topic I installed NTXS V1.3 and when I want to start the program nothing happened. So start it again, wrong, can't run multiple sessions. I had to kill it with task control. Tomorrow I will install the last update and see what that brings. If you PM me your @adress, I'll send you the pzm file, so you cantake a look. Carol

Hi! for those who are using NT2S and have newly discovered the NT3S, I really want to recommend upgrading these units with at least NT21 or NS5-MQ because they are low quality products. I know that the NS5 is far more expensive than these low-cost units, but in contrast, you can get NT21 at the NT3S price + aprox. 100 Eur. With NT21, you will have bigger screen and functionality and the 10 year MTFB guaranteed by Omron. Also, NT21 has multivendor support as the NT3S, but cant support inverters and other devices, except for PLC. To use the latest functions of the NT series you will need NTST 4.71. I'd rather use NT21, even though it's more expensive. (Also see a similar product with NT3S: GT01 from MEW (Matsushoota Electric Works) good quality, less money) Bye.