Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Chris Elston

WinMerge ROCKS!

12 posts in this topic

I don't know if everyone knows about this little gem of a program. Free Download: http://winmerge.org/ But if your doing TEXT base programming, and trying to figure out who changed what, this program does this trick. As seen in my screen shot, on line 90. variable V[18]=-1 in the left pane and V[18]=0 in the right pane. That would have been a pain in the butt to find without a wonderful tool like this. Just wanted to share this because I just saved myself three hours of work I did in two seconds.

I would add this to the useful progams thread. I use Synchronize It and Compare It. http://www.grigsoft.com/index.htm You are right about these types of comparing and merging programs saving time. If PLC programs can be saved in XML format then it makes finding differences easy.

I found WinMerge two Thursdays ago around 1 AM when trying to compare two HTML reports from different uploads of an RSNetworx for DeviceNet project, to figure out what had changed in the configuration of two 1336 Plus II AC drives. The software found the differing parameters in just a few seconds. That didn't turn out to be the problem we were chasing, but it helped us eliminate that problem in a hurry. RSLogix 5000 exports to *.L5K format, so I think I'll end up using one or both of these tools to perform my own Compare functions.

If you use Omron, they have it incorporated in CX-One...

Looks a lot like Ultra Edit.

I tried winmerge. I went back to synchronize it and compare it. www.grigsoft.com

Where can I find it beegee ?

File>Compare Program

Yeah I know the compare tool in CXP, just though there was a similar tool to Winmerge for text based files.

Kind of figured that wasn't what you were looking for

Chako have you ever tried BeyondCompare from ScooterSoftware. I've used it for years and it does much the same. It also has intelligent filters for the programming langauge or file style you are looking at. Used it before rockwell came out with their compare tool.

It was installed automatically after I installed CX_ONE V2.0 for the second time (I had some problems opening some projects afte rthe first install) I'll check on the CD's and let you know if I find it and it is only version 2.0.2.0 beegee Edited by beegee