Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wonderboutin

COMM WITH SLC5/03

8 posts in this topic

I HAVE A SLC5/04 (MASTER) WITH 15 SLC5/03(SLAVE) THE COMMUNICATION IS IN DF1 POLING BY THE MASTER(SLC5/04) VIA MODEM FM. I HAVE A OLD PC WITH A DH+ CARD AND A READ DATA IN MY SLC5/04 (THE RS-232 PORT IS BUZY TO COMMUNICATE WITH 15 SLC5/03) MY PROBLEME, I WANT TO CHANGE MY PC FOR A NEW ONE BUT THE DH+ BORD IS NOT COMPATIBLE WITH THE NEW PC BECAUSE IS A ISA CARD. WHAT IS THE SOLUTION (LOW COST) TO COMMUNICATE WITH MY 15 SLC5/03 ? TANKS !

I'm not aware of any LOW COST solutions. There is a PCI card for DH+ (you probably already know this) but it isn't cheap. Are you currently using a KT or a KTX? The KT can only be used on very old, slow PCs.. The KTX can atleast be used with semi-modern PCs with ISA slots. (I've got one in a PIII-550 machine, works fine) You might try experimenting with different motherboards with ISA slots to see if you can find something that would work acceptably fast for you. Granted they aren't the latest and greatest, but you can still do quite a bit with the Socket370 and Slot1 boards.

There are three DH+ cards for PCI bus computers that I am familiar with. Because DH+ is an older dedicated-purpose industrial network, none of these devices are "low cost". A-B makes a 1784-PKTX card, a PCI version of the 1784-KTX. Check to be sure that it is compatible with your PCI bus, which may be 5V (older) or 3.3 v. Data-Link Corp. makes a PCI card called the DL-PCI that communicates with DH+. They also make a DL-3500 device that connects the PC to DH+ via USB or RS-232. Woodhead Connectivity (SST) makes a PCI card called the 5136-SD-PCI-U. You may wish to consider which driver software you will require when making your decision. A-B RSLinx will work with the A-B card and the Data-Link card (it emulates a COM port) but I don't know if the RSLinx "SD/SD2" driver will work with the current version of SST's 5136-SD-PCI-U. Your other option is to communicate from your computer directly to the SLC-5/03 controllers using the RSLinx DF1 Half Duplex Master Polling driver. Check out that caps lock key when you get a chance, too.

With all that great information Eddie gave you I wanted to highlight this. I usually just don't respond to a post with a broken caps but some see it the same as talking with your mouth full or...

this solution is not {low cost} unless you are good with the figures. I believe you can upgrade your slc 5/04 and find a compactLogix, micrologix or controllogix which will give you a rs232 port and an ethernet port to connect to most modern pc's. Just a crazy thought. yur wlcme Edited by BobLfoot

I believe the easiest solution would be to replace the 5/04 with a 5/05. You can use the same program, same chassis, same I/O etc... And then use ethernet for the PLC-PC connection. Using this method eliminates the need for any special interface cards at the PC end, and you will get faster communiction as a bonus.

As long as there is currently nothing else on the DH+ network I think Ken will have the best solution. If not the only thing that comes to mind is a DH+ to ENET Controllogix Gateway Actually the gateway may be less expensive than the 5/05, I'm not sure

Of course neither of those are low cost solutions. We need to know why the DH+ network is there