Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Noely

Batching Process

6 posts in this topic

Hi. I want to look into programming a batching process, using a slc 500 plc and a panel view 1000. Just wondering what is the best way to program mix formulas, and print out results. i know this is very limited info as i am rushing off but i will give more later. Thanx

For the mixing I would use indirect addressing to pull the values out of a data file. Pretty much let's say the operator inputs what is to be mixed at N7:0 as a numeric code and on of your pieces of data is in N10 then to pull the parameter out you would address it N10:[N7:0]. If the mix selector is 2 then it would address N10:2, if it was 5 it woudl be N7:5. As far as a printout are you looking for a serial printer to hook into the Panelview 1000? Going to need to be serial, I would search for POS (Point of Service) printers.

One thing often overlooked in a batching operation is the ability to abort the current batch. This is a must have. What happens when the operator gets two steps into a formula and finds out he's running the wrong formula? A nice feature is the ability to manully advance the steps. In the middle of the batch, in the middle of the night, the plc power supply fails and causes the memory to become corrupted. The night maintenance person replaces the power supply, and reloads the program, now how does he get to step 12 of a 20 step formula without having to call someone?

I tell you what..I've never been a fan of batch processing in ladder logic. I always find some other ways. Like using an HMI that supports this. I've used Parker's CTC display (HMI) to handle batching and a few others. I don't know if you "have to" use a panel view, but writting ladder to make your own batch does take some time. I was looking for a sample program but I couldn't find one off the top of my head.

And if you go with Chakorule's suggestion get one that can print to a USB or Ethernet printer. Serial printers are getting harder to find and are not nearly as versatile

Thanks fir the replys. is there any examples of a batching program for an slc 500. Rushing again