Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
boardmaker

Really not for this forum

6 posts in this topic

I know this is a question for a different forum but here it goes. Everyday I get an email for someone about stocks or something like that. Normally their address looks something like this: jlskhah alhdaasdf@(somewhere).com So I block sender. Day after day. I know the reason why their name is jumbled is when they start a new address(daily I presume) they know someone doesn't have that name. So I goto somewhere.com and then I get redirected to what looks to be an innocent useful website. How do I get rid of these people. I dont want stock from someone with the name dshaoih aoihodf. Hello, was I born yesterday. Someone must buy it from them or they would be able to do it. Anyways, How do I figure out who's doing this? I wish I was a hacker. I'd----well you know!

The domain is always (somewhere).com ? I'd say don't just block a new adress every day, but block all mail from this domain.

I, we block whole countries but this doesn't help. I use a white list. This means that I must add the domains of all my customers and contacts into the white list. E-mails that are not on the white list go to the junk folder. The problem is that you still need to scan the junk folder for new contacts. Our company gets 50,000 to 100,000 spams a day. This would make our junk filter to big to scan for new customers. The company has a program called the GFI spam filter that blocks 99% of those initial 50,000 to 100,000 spams a day. This filter makes use of a list of known spam sites so that any e-mail from sites are automatically dumped in the spam folder before applying other filtering rules. This works surprising well. Still I get about 50 to 100 spams that end up in my junk folder. I still need to search though that because I may have a new customer. Every once in a while even a new customers e-maill gets lost because of the filters. The time I waste and the lost contact is the cost of spam. Our Ethernet guru tracked down a spam/scan artist to Nigeria. We got his e-mail address and sent him a e-mail telling him we can track him down. He stopped, bugging us at least. Think of the bandwidth these guys waste! I can look at our GFI filter and see the spam coming in about 1 per second. So: 1. Use a white list. 2. Tell your company to use a spam filter like the GFI spam filter.

I also use Peters method. Another advantage is that it makes sure that you remember to enter you contacts address and information before you loose their info I would still suggest you browse through your junk mail before deleting it but it is very rare I find a email that is not spam. One other thing, watch using you ISPs spam blocker. I have lost mail by enabling this

Your company also can look at the Spamhaus project which maintains a database of know spammers. I copied the following from their site. The Spamhaus Block List ("SBL") can be used by almost all modern mail servers, by setting your mail server's anti-spam DNSBL feature (sometimes called "Blacklist DNS Servers" or "RBL servers") to query sbl.spamhaus.org. Use of the SBL is free for individuals operating small mail servers as long as your email traffic is low. Commercial users, corporate networks and ISPs need to purchase a yearly subscription to use the service: www.spamhaus.org

Don't put your contact email on your website in text form or hidden in a bit of HTML behind a button. Put it on there in a graphic form. Simplest way is to write your contact info into MS Paint, save as a *.jpg then include the picture on your website. This will stop "spiders" from finding it and sending it to spammers, but people that truely wish to contact you will be able to read it and type it into their email. This method has cut out a large amount of spam from my simple "family" website.