Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
KIKO

Comments for PLC5

10 posts in this topic

HI all, I'm always facing a problem on my plant that some of the Plc's I can't see the comments when i go online. even I have the comments on the disk but when i use that file still I can't see the comments online!!! any help will be appreciated.

In cases where you have comments but see none did logix find an exact match program? If not you must upload and merge comments to see them.

that's fine...but how to merge it?

Open the off line program with the comments, export the comments database. Open the on line program, import the comments.

1. Open Offline file with comments. 2. Click on :"Tools" , " Database", "ASCII export" . Choose what data to export & filename & "OK" 3. Choose exported file destination. example "C:\ new folder" 4. Open online version of same file without comments. 5. Click on : "Tools", "Database", "ASCII Import". Choose what data to import. 6. Browse to previous file location. 7. Select desired files and "Open" 8. When done. Click on "File" ,"Save" BD

Thanks alot for that. I have two more questions: 1-will the PLC switch to the program mode while importing, or it will remain on the rum mode?(I mean ,is it possible to do it without stopping the process??) 2-this procedure need only to be done one time only, so next time i will see the comments directly without that procedure, isn't it?

You can do it without stopping the plc. 1. open the old program with the comments, export the database. 2. close old program 3. go on line with the plc, save the program, go off line. 4. import the comments 5. go back on line, should have current program with comments, save this program as the current one. 6. Archive the old program, just in case you need it again. Ken

The first possibility, because you say you're using hte correct file, is that the display settings have comments turned off. I think you can right click on the ladder background and get to the display settings. Another thing that could be happening, because I find this a lot too: 1. A technician is required to go online to a processor. ---1a. The path for RSWho doesn't contain the correct file. ---1b. The processor doesn't support checksum matching. ---1c. Someone changed the program with a different terminal or didn't save it. In any case, now he is faced with a Dialog box he usually doesn't see...Not knowing any better... 2. He chooses create new file rather than browsing to find the matching one with conmments. 3. While he's staring into the screen of PLC code with no text, the operator taps himn on the shoulder and says something like "Hey there were sparks coming from that pinched cable then the machine stopped." 4. The tech fixes the machine, then shuts down RSLogix. When prompted to "Save FIle?"...He says to himself, "Well sure, seems like a good idea..." 5. Now every time you go online, you will bypass the choose file dialog because RSLogix has a perfect match. RSLogix should identify the empty databse and warn you, but it doesn't. Two fixes, and a long term suggestion... METHOD 1. The one Ken described, but, unless I am mistaken or it has been improved, it can cost you some details with a PLC5, like BT addresses for I/O config screens, and rack configuration information. METHOD 2. Delete the RSLogix file with an emtpy database, Go online and choose the correct file. Make sure you delete the correct file! If you are unsure, just move it out of the search path, or utilize the recycle bin in windows depending an which might apply. To avoid this problem, use a file naming strategy other than the default, and it will be apparent when the default filename is accidently saved with an empty database by an unwitting technician. Also, make sure the search path for RSLogix matches the location of the correct file. Paul Edited by OkiePC

Great Reply OkiePC, Your right about plc5, Kiko, Take a look at your image table and your descriptions should be there if display settings have comments off. J I can't help more than OkiePc, He covered it just fine.