Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ToddM

Windows Defender beta2 install error

9 posts in this topic

Hi folks.... I just recently downloaded the new Windows Defender deta 2 to replace the Anti Spyware beta.When I try to install I get an error{see attachment} Since I am the administartor on this PC{home computer} I should be able to install anything. Has anyone else had this problem. I am using Windows 2K with SP4. Thanks and later...Todd

Did you try to start the service through the SCM (service control manager)? If not try, Start>Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Services scroll down to the service and start it manually. Also, make sure it is not diabled.

Yep..First thing I tried, the problem with trying to start it manually is that it is not compleatly installed. See these 2 attachments and you will see what I mean. Thanks and later...Todd

Have you tried to uninstall and reinstall. Microsoft made a tool to help uninstall it (It leaves a bunch of crap behind) http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;290301 Read carefully

The only problem with that is that it never gets compleatly installed, so I can't uninstall it and reinstall it. I still have the install for the antispyware beta so I am just going to reinstall it for now. Thanks for your replys. Later...Todd

hi Maybe the setup file you downloaded have been corrupted, i mean it may lack of some files. i don't if some tips appear during your installation. and you have to clear related content of it using regedit32 when you want to uninstall it. (delete its directory and use a tool to clear the related content) according to the information you give it seems to lack of some files. check the setup file if it is ok or download a new file again. hope this can be use to you. rainofwind

I had to move on to a better purchased product with yearly support because Windows Defender has not kept up with all of the spyware out there. Also, you have to be careful of what you purchase because there is a lot of "scamware" out there that advertises it will get rid of the spyware but doesn't work after you've forked out the $30 or so. I went with Spyware Doctor because it came from a company that I had previous experience with and it was highly recommended by PCMAG and a couple of others. It found several dozen problem files and registry entries and it took care of the specific problem that Defender couldn't identify.

The link in my previous post was to the windows installation cleanup utillity. Since it did not install all the way...... Run the utillity and delete any references to windows defender.... Delete and redownload windows defender..... Try to reinstall.... If that doesn't work try Ad-Aware and screw microsoft....

I used this program for a while and started noticing that my computer was getting very slow. Found out that the program was using all the free CPU capacity to do who knows what. Real time protection was disabled and still getting almost 100% cpu use with nothing else running. Unistalled and cpu use dropped almost 50%.