Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Deke2006

Squeeze 10lbs Of Shi.. Into A 5lb Bag?

12 posts in this topic

Hi, I have 18 different jigs that go into a fixture (called a door), currently we have 4 different programs, due to the fact that only 9 jigs can fit into one program, we have 12 doors, some with light curtains and some with air operated doors that protect operators from operation. Eventually all the doors will have light curtains, so that there would only be two programs instead of four. I want to be able to have only one program in all the doors that will be able to run all the jigs (hopefully not wishfull thinking on my part) Now I'm no expert at omron PLC's, we have CJ1G-H, some have CPU42 and some have CPU43. Looking at memory view I see the total steps available are 11,264 with each jig on an avg use 1200 steps, I'm working on improving the logic to reduce this number, but even after that is done I don't think I will be able to get all 18 jigs into one program. Is there a way based on which jig is in the door (currently Binarys and nodes are used to determine this) to load up the logic needed from a datatable or something without having to be connected to ethernet? Or am I doomed to having to setup certain doors that use only certain jigs? The outfit that did all the eletronics and porgramming for these jigs and doors did a very good job, in no way am I knocking their accomplished work, I'm just trying to improve the logic a bit and see if I can get everything into one program. Thanks in advanced! Deke2006

Probably need more information to give you an answer. Is there any commonality between the operation of the jigs? Do all doors have the same I/O? Do all jigs use the same I/O? You may be able to make a program section to handle the common functions, then individual sections for the specific jigs. Obviously I am making some assumptions at this point. Worst case, you could upgrade the processors to CJ1H-H units with enough memory to handle the logic. This would add cost, but would make maintenance much less of a headache. Good Luck, and please let us know if you have other questions or thoughts!

Hi, Thanks for replying! Probably need more information to give you an answer. Is there any commonality between the operation of the jigs? Each one of course has some operations that are the same, such as a cylinder moving in to to seal a part for air testing. Do all doors have the same I/O? Do all jigs use the same I/O? All the doors have the same I/O and hardware configurations, input modules in jigs do vary, all at least have two, some have three and some have four. You may be able to make a program section to handle the common functions, then individual sections for the specific jigs. Obviously I am making some assumptions at this point. This is what currently is in the program now, however it would've been nicer if only the logic for the detected jig would be scanned instead of all logic being scanned. (this I plan on changing to use subroutines) Worst case, you could upgrade the processors to CJ1H-H units with enough memory to handle the logic. This would add cost, but would make maintenance much less of a headache. How much more memory capacity does the CJ1H-H units have compared to the CJ1G-H units? Good Luck, and please let us know if you have other questions or thoughts! Thanks again! Deke2006

Actually, there may be CJ1G-H processors also, here is a list: CJ1G-CPU42H 10Ksteps CJ1G-CPU43H 20Ksteps CJ1G-CPU44H 30Ksteps CJ1G-CPU45H 60Ksteps CJ1H-CPU65H 60Ksteps CJ1H-CPU66H 120Ksteps Primary difference between G-H and H-H is processing time of logic. Sounds like you are headed in the right direction. You can you the "tasks" to segment your program (or subroutines). You could also use the JMP and JME instructions. Hope this will help.

Thanks for the info! Looks like I can either change out hte cpu's on 12 doors or what about the memory card option? Would that be cheaper or too much of a pain rather then having everything in the cpu? Thanks Deke2006

... Memory card option: See section 5-2-4 of the programming manual (W394). You can replace the PLC program on the fly using the memory card. Simply specify the new file name (move ascii into A654 through A657) and turn on the appropriate flag. (A650.15) For your application, you could have a whole PLC program for each jig - leaving you plenty of room. I have never used this feature, although it will probably suit your application fine. Nibroc Edited by Nibroc

Hi Nibroc, Would I have to have a memory card for each jig or would I be able to have many jigs on one memory card? I need to get me some manuals, should I just talk to my local distributor to get them? Thanks, Deke2006

Hello Deke2006, You can fit many programs onto a memory card, depending on the size of the program file, and the size of memory card. As for manuals, try here... http://www.knowledge.omron.com/ Regards anonymous

Hi anonymous, Okay I still need to get a manual, got one offline in pdf. manual is not very explicit in showing a very good example on how to do this, but I'm working on it. My question is I have to have an Autoexec.STD file on the Memory card but I can't figure out for the life of me on how to get CX-Programmer to make this file?? I was able to make the Autoexec.OBJ file by doing a transfer to file. Thanks Deke2006 Edited by Deke2006

Well I figured out how to make the STD file, and made a program for detecting jigs and then loading that file but this program get s the Cycle Time Error. CUrrently and get it to work by a Memory Card for each Jig, but I would rather be able to have a Memory Card for each door that has all the jigs in the memory card. I'll keep working at it but if you have any suggestions on the Cycle Time Error please let me know. Thanks Deke2006

Raise the trip point for cycle time over in the PLC settings dialog.

See my earlier post, you can have one memory card for all your jigs. You will not need not have an 'AUTOEXEC.OBJ' file. Load the memory card with your PLC programs: JIGNUM01.OBJ JIGNUM02.OBJ JIGNUM03.OBJ ... JIGNUMnn.OBJ See section 5-2-4 of the programming manual (W394). You can replace the PLC program on the fly using the memory card. In you ladder program, specify the new file name (move ascii into A654 through A657) Move #A5A5 into A651 (enables program change) Turn on the appropriate flag. (A650.15) To do this, preset some Data memorys with the ascii file names of your .OBJ files, each file name is 8 ascii characters long (4 words). Transfer this ascii to A654 using XFER function in your ladder program. Set bit A650.15 on in your ladder program Each JIGNUMxx.OBJ program must have the above ladder section to switch to another etc. Nibroc Edited by Nibroc