Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JouniK

C200he cpu42 processor to C200hg cpu6?

8 posts in this topic

I have these cpu units and the serial port of the hg is apparently somehow damaged and since they look very mush alike i was thinking, that maybe the only difference is the actual processor of those cpus? What do you think? Both the "motherboards" look exactly the same and have the same text on them.

Basically the same but I have not used them for years now. I think there were some differences in the instruction list but not sure. Check the manual for instructions.

Yeah i'm quite sure there are differences with the instructions, but i was thinking more wether there are differences between the hardware of the cpu, the "motherboard" of the cpu unit, so maybe i could just swap the processor chips and the HE would become HG and i'd get the better cpu with the working serial port.

Going from memory here, but I think processing time was different between these two series. I have no idea if this would work, or if you may damage something by trying. Good Luck.

The CPU does not control the RS232 port directly, there is a standard RS232 chip that is used to interface to the CPU. This chip is replacable generally. The labour cost to do so will probably cost more then the chip itself. I do not believe that there was an instruction set difference between the c200hecpu42 and c200hgcpu64. It was more to do with program capacity, scan execution rate and addressable memory. It was not until the -z models came out that the instruction set was enhanced. So, the above in mind i do not believe you could simply swap the cpu's over. Look at the RS232 chip, you might be able to replace that easier. BTW you mentioned somehow damaged, it either works or it don;t, doesn;t it?

All i know about the damage is that someone had put a note on te CPU, which said the poweroutput(roughly translated) of the serial port is broken. I'm not really sure what that means. I can't test it yet, since i have no PSU for it. I'll check it once i get the PSU.

Pin 6 of the serial port provides +5VDC for powering RS422 adapters. There is an onboard fuse which probably popped. Follow the trace from pin 6 to the fuse.

ok, thanks. ---EDIT Well, it is the fuse. I did notice it, when i looked at the insides of this, but at that time i had no meter to test it and it looked just fine. I just measured it and it's busted. Another thing, unless someone has switched the insides of the HG-63, these two CPU units are identical. The HE-42 has a sticker, which says it's a HE-42, but the HG-63 doesn't. They have the same chips, same oscillator speed and both "motherboards" even say C200HE-CPU32, and since there aren't any flash or eprom chips, the code must be within the processor. That would suggest that by only swapping the processor, the HE can be turned into HG and vice versa. Edited by JouniK