Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jerrycat

Connecting RS485/422 module

11 posts in this topic

Hi Guys, i have been working to setup a serial RS 485 hostlink network between 7 CPM1A Plc's. i.m planning to use RS 485/422 module. i have already purchase these module The problem is that there are already HMI terminals connected to the port where i suppose to plug in these module on the left side of the plc,s. is their a way to overcome this without removing the HMI terminals.

What HMI terminals are being used? Are the HMI's communicating via RS232 or RS485? The CPM1A only offers a single peripheral port for communications. Your solution may depend on the existing HMI's Any additional information you can provide would be helpful.

The HMI Terminal that i am using is NT2S-SF12-1B-EV2 i don.t have the manual of this terminal . i see it has 2 port on the back for communication. Where can i find the manual of this HMI. i have read that the software for this terminal is free . where can i find a free copy of this software many thanks

Here is the software. You may have to register. Here is the quick start guide.

Here is an older version of the software the quick start guide refers to. It may make it easier for you to follow. Again you may have to register. If you are familiar with NT programming then you should note the screens in the NT2S are referenced in decimal, not hex.

... Unfortunately if you are using 7x CPM1A's with 7xNT2 HMI units connected (one each) you will be unable to network the PLCs. 1. The CPM1A has only one communications port and this has been used for your HMI's. 2. The NT2 series HMI can only connect 1:1 with a PLC, and does not offer any advanced networking. Nibroc

Ok, now that I see the "rest of the story", Nibroc is correct. You can EITHER "network" the plc's , or you can have an operator interface on them, but not both. You will be rather limited using the CPM1 platform in this system. Sorry!

The NT2S-SF121B would not be able to directly connect to the port on the CPM1. A NT2S-SF122B could, using a NT2S-CN222-V1 cable. Regarding "networking" the plcs. What is your requirement for networking, what do you want to accomplish? There may be some options, but it would be helpful to know what you need to do. Please provide some additional information, and we may be able to help out.

the purpose of the network is to collect data and to monitoring the PLC using Citect Scada. i figure out that serial comunication was the best option for me. less cable and less expensive. What other option are you talking about. definetly the terminal that describe in my ealier post is connected to the CPM1A. How is connected ??????? if you said it cannot be connected directly

In doing some more checking there is a cable to connect the SF121B, part number NT2S-CN212. I was not familiar with that cable. Could the Citect be used in place of the local operator interface? The other option might be to use a different operator interface that would allow the Citect system to access the plc using a pass through configuration through the interface. If the CPM1A plcs were upgraded to CPM2A units, this would allow for two communication ports, one like is on the CPM1A for the CPM1-CIF11 RS485 adapter and an RS232 port that could be used for the operator interface (using a different cable). Hope this will help.

yes Citect could be use instead of the interface, but that is my last option . they are so use to the interface . and i think the would find it a little bit difficult too.