Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MIKE31

encoder

10 posts in this topic

HI I like to get some info about encoder that measures lenght or distance travelled and how is connected to plc in addition how distance is measured using plc logic. Any help is appreciated Thanking you all.

What type of plc hardware are you wanting to use

for example 5/05 processor Edited by MIKE31

since you are using SLC you can use HSC card and incremental encoder. this is not for fainthearted but to help you more you really need to say what exacly you want to do (what range, what precision, what speed, any other limitation...).

Also, the SLC is overkill for the application. I would go MicroLogix, if Allen Bradley is necessary at all.

Careful.. you're posting that in the A-B forum you know :)

I wouldn't say that SLC is overkill. I would say it is probably the wrong processor for the application. Of course, if you are upgrading an existing system, then you are probably better off to stay with the SLC. If you are just wanting measure the distance something has traveled, the SLC will be fine and in my opinion the Micrologix will actually work better. We use this in many of our slower cutting applications. If you want speed, hard acceleration and deceleration, go with servo control and the controllogix. The SLCs servo module(not even sure if you can get it anymore) was a pain and took up a lot of panel space. I have never personally used the Micrologix pulse train output but have heard mixed opinions on it. What exactly are you trying to measure, what are you doing with it

How do you know everything that his controller is doing? You are making lots of assumptions in telling him what processor his application demands.

Thanks as a matter of fact I am not measuring anything as I mentioned I like to learn about encoder and its related plc logic .

http://www.beiied.com/PDFs2/Optical_Encoder_Design.pdf