Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Raydragon

MOV elements

16 posts in this topic

Hey there guys, I am trying to get a Panleview 300 Micro to display a series of Oven baking times. I have 8 ( fixed) times that are selected by an 8 position selector switch into 8 inputs. I have got the panelview program written and the coms setup between the panelview and it's Host Micrologix 1000 is fine. The problem is that when i simulate one of the switch positions ( inputs 0-7) i can't get it to transfer the integer from the mov block into N7:0, it just stays at a value of zero. This integer is the correct element that communicates to the panelview with the speed display, i have tested this by forcing a value into N7:0 and the panelview updates fine, it also is not used anywhere else in the program. the only code involved is literally each of the inputs directly going to a (seperate) MOV element to move the integer into N7:0 so for example switch setting 1 should move "22" into N7:0 and even though i can see the rung go true when i activate the input it doesn't trigger the MOV element. 22 is the number of minutes for switch position 1 and only 1 position can be selected at a time. What am i doing wrong? the code is so simple that i must be missing something?

From what you explained I see no errors in your reasoning, you may want to post the code for one of us to look at. As you mentioned it is probably some small detail that you may have overlooked...

Are you sure there is not a MOV 0 into N7:0 somewhere?

yeah i am sure. I will try and get the program and post it in the next few days, It's at work and I'm at home and i don't think i will make it in tonight, stupid flu!!!! whats the best way, post the whole RSS file?

You have to be registered to upload a file to the board. Register and then you can attach a file to your post. You can upload an RSS file no problems. We can download it and check it out for you and try and help.

Just a thought, but are you sure the program file with the MOV instructions is being scanned??

Ok registered now :-P what could stop it from being scanned? The program i am working on is a combination of 2 underutilised ML1000's that i am going to combine into one ( or possibly a ML1500 yet, not sure) I have copied each program into it's own ladder , they are both only about 10-15 rungs each max. I had to re-assign the odd counter/ timer due to conflicts between the 2 old programs but that wasn't any hassle. The i created the 3rd ladder with the code for the panelview display which basically consists of each input sending an integer to N7:0 via a mov block. when i trigger the input and monitor it via laptop i can see the inputs activate, i assume that means the ladder is being scanned? Edited by Raydragon

You created a third ladder. Is there a JSR somewhere in ladder 2 which calls it? If not, the MOV's you're looking for will never happen. You will see input status changes even in inactive programs.

Crap, that will be it then. All i have done to it so far is copy and paste the 2 old programs into it (largely) as they were (each into seperate ladders) and then create this 3rd one for the new stuff. I did test part of the program (which is the bit in the first ladder) and that worked ok. So most likely neither ladder 2 or 3 are actually being scanned, i didn't try anything in ladder 2 yet but as there isn't any JSR's in ladder 1 either then i guess it also isn't being scanned. I am used to making changes to existing programs, never really had to create any before Edited by Raydragon

You shouldn't have to do anything to get Ladder file 2 scanned, it is scanned automatically. Subsequent Ladder files (3, 4, etc.) have to be called by a JSR instruction in Ladder file 2. I'm not sure what you are calling Ladder file 1, the first Ladder file is Ladder 2, and is created automatically when the program is first created. Edited by mgvol

yeah ok, what i am calling ladder 1 is likely to be ladder 2, so i am probably using ladders 2,3 and 4 then. I haven't got access to RSlogix at home so am just working by my very faulty memory You guys are good at decoding my giberish though

Just to let you know, the missing JSR's were the cause of my problem, so i have been able to get it all up and running... thanks for your help guys.

Those darn JSR! Don't sweat it. Everyone has done it alteast ONCE in their programming career.

Yep, happened to me once, was almost at the hair pulling stage, when I took a break, came back and slapped myself for such a silly mistake.

That one has nailed all of us at least once...Maybe we can get Rockwell software to modify Logix to change the color of the "power rails" in unscanned subroutines or something...Nah, that would make too much sense...

Dude...that is a KILLER IDEA!!! Hope Rockwell is reading this.