BobLfoot

1794-AENT Setup Issue

7 posts in this topic

Thought I would post a lesson learned about the 1794-AENT.

The System Integrator we had working for us had comissioned a number of 1794-AENT units calls that the latest batch won't configure.

After working back and forth with RA Techconnect it finally turns out that we had been using 1794-AENT firmware 4.1 from our store room and then got into a fresh shipment of 1794-AENT Firmware 4.3's.  The BOOTP/DHCP Tool revision 3.03 we were using needed to be upgraded to 3.05 to configure the 1794-AENT.

1 person likes this

Thanks for that info. It seems a little crazy that the BootP tool has to be upgraded. Shouldn't it just be supplying IP addresses? Maybe the command to disable DHCP is special...

9 hours ago, Joe E. said:

It seems a little crazy that the BootP tool has to be upgraded. Shouldn't it just be supplying IP addresses?

It is Rockwell Software!

Seriously, it's always been a little quirky but I guess they are in some way or another. I've had a lot of success using Keyence IP Configuration Tool.

Side note:  I've read in other forums where Rockwell is taking measures to become more compliant with the EtherNet/IP standard. Maybe these version issues have something to do with that. <END GOSSIP>

I generally find myself using IPAssign from Phoenix Contact more than AB's Boot/P. It tends to work well at assigning the address. I then use RSLinx to disable DHCP.

1 person likes this

I use the new enet commissioning tool that is much better than the bootp tool

22 hours ago, VFD Guy said:

I use the new enet commissioning tool that is much better than the bootp tool

Rockwell has another tool?  Since when??

I became curious reading this topic and found the tool on the Rockwell download site:

2024-01-22_11-10-49.png.b6e91548c83a59b2

I didn't notice that I had it on my PC already, must have come with Studio V36 which was installed recently. There are no devices close by, but I'll give it a test soon.

Thanks @VFD Guy for mentioning the tool!

Edited by volker81k
1 person likes this