PaulKim1003

Any safety PLC to replace PILZ plcs?

6 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

Our automated equipment is using PILZ PLC and we are trying to replace it.

Is there any other safety PLC that can be replaced for the PILZ PLC?

Thanks

I am not familiar with PILZ but Allen Bradley's safety PLCs are GuardLogix and Compact-GuardLogix. They are both programmed from Studio5000. 

Any Safety PLC would replace your Pilz. You won't find a drop-in-place option though. You'll need to understand each safety circuit and reproduce it in the new PLC.

The Pilz appears to be a dedicated Safety PLC where AB GuardLogix are integrated Standard and Safety. It may be an expensive option. There are many manufacturers that make dedicated Safety PLCs. Omron, Banner and Keyence are brands we've used. They work quite well and are a cost effective solution. In my opinion, the Omron stand alone Safety PLC is a bit cumbersome and you have to purchase the software. Banner and Keyence software is included (free download).

I've worked on machines with the Banner safety controllers and have done upgrades on machines where we used Keyence. In general I prefer Keyence over Banner but I wouldn't be upset to work with either. We have other machines with Schmersal and ABB/Jokab controllers. The Jokab are ok but the Schmersal are kind of a pain, especially if you're not absolutely fanatical about keeping up with your source files. You can upload out of them but only a compiled runtime to transfer back into another controller. To monitor/edit you need the matching source file. In the AB world, they also have the 440C-CR30-... controller that's programmed in CCW (free) or can be embedded in a Logix project. I found them to be useful but their IO is very limited for the price and can't be expanded (with safety IO).

you can replace it with many products. the question is why... are you running out of I/O or need something that you do not find in that product? alternatives are likely going to cost more not to mention time to create documentation, code and have it all approved.