Ezraseth

Jogging powerflex 525 in hand mode

45 posts in this topic

May be a long shot, but are any of the digital inputs (other than terminal 1) wired to anything? I've seen weird things happen when an "unused" input was on.

Other than the ethernets and obvously power wires running from the VFD to the motor itself, i have S1 S2 jumper from 1 to 11, and a wire going to terminal 4. I am currenly looking in the drawings right now for what it goes to/controls. When i remove it i get a F059. 

So, F059 is "Safety Open". Terminal 4 is a DC Common. It's probable that the system is using an external 24V supply and the drive's terminal 4 is connected to the system's 0V so S1 and S2 can use the system's 24V source. Lifting the wire on terminal 4 causes S1/S2 to lose their 0V reference and show open.

Btw, that confirms that the STO function is not what's keeping your drive from running via the keypad.

Have you tried to set P046-P051 back to their default values and t062-t068 to 0 "Not Used"?

So 62 through 68 are all 0(not used) 

I can put all 3 start/speed parameters(46-51) in 1 (drive pot/keypad) and i get nothing. 

As for terminal 4....what parameter allows me to use the onboad power supply? Or does it not work like that?

You may be onto something here...

Look up this Allen Bradley manual and go to page 42 of the pdf:

520-UM001I-EN-E

After browsing around some more in the manual, is it possible to jump from 11 to 1 and then from 1 to 7, and then change t067 to "5"(spd+strt 2) and then have 48 and 49 in "1" (drive pot/keypad)? Or will that never work? Sorry for my ignorance. This drive runs in "rev" when in auto otherwise it seems like i could maybe do something similar with t068 and put it to 8 or 9...

The last thing i want to do is short out a perfectly good VFD. 

When you don't have an external, hard-wired stop button, 1 to 11 should always have a jumper. When you remove 24vdc from terminal 1, that is a stop command. Since you can see the speed command changing, the problem is not with the speed reference and there shouldn't be a need to program for speed + start. We need to find out what's inhibiting the start. 

Did you previously answer that you definitely have 24vdc at terminal 1 when keypad is selected at the start source?

Sorry for just getting back to you all. Things picked up at the plant near the end of the day... so i did go back and double checked and with 46 to 51 all in "1", i still had 24VDC at terminal 1 at rest and while holding the start button. Im honestly lost right now. I looked theough the drawings at what that wire to terminal 4 was wired to. I am not 100% but i am fairly certain it is wired in to a disconnect  or "maintenance repair switch" near the motor. Obviously a local lock out point when sevicing the motor, conveyor, ect. Ill double check that tomorrow. Because like i said im not quite sure, things got busy later in the day. I will try and confirm that tomorrow....line should still be down tomorrow for me to try more possibilities  with the VFD.

Side question...is it absolutely necessary to disconnect the ethernets when trying to jog the drive in hand mode?

That would depend if there was a stop signal coming on the ethernet connection, all stops work even if you are getting the control from the VSD keypad.

1 person likes this

Okay just thought id ask. All attempts thus far have been both with them plugged in and unplugged.

Has anyone asked if ADC is configured?

@VFD Guy no, and that's actually a great question. The OP has stated he repeatedly tried this with the ethernet cable disconnected. It seems to me that the drive likely still won't respond when ADC is active, even without the owner controller being on the network. Am I correct? I won't be able to test that for myself until this weekend when I get back to my lab. 

Wouldn't a factory reset clear any ADC setup in the drive?

@Joe E. To answer your question, I don't know for sure. I've always associated factory resets with drive parameters, not with ADC. The ADC feature is enabled from ControlLogix in Studio5000 and I've never had to disable it once set, so I can't say with any degree of accuracy if a reset (from something like the Setup Wizard in CCW) would have any effect on ADC. I think that if it's enabled in the device definition in Logix and that drive shows up on the network, Logix is going to write configuration data to it. 

I had the opportunity today to fool around with both a PF755 and PF525 with and L73 controller. This is what I found before getting kicked out of the lab:

If ADC is enabled and the drive is removed from the network (like unplugging the Ethernet cable, as the OP says he's done), then you can make parameter changes and the drive will respond to the changes. Once the network cable is plugged back in the drive goes into a fault, re-boots, and comes back up with the parameter values written from Logix via ADC. 

All that to say, it wouldn't matter if the drive is owned by a controller with ADC active. Once the drive is disconnected from the network it is a stand-alone and should respond to program changes, and be operable from the faceplate.  

1 person likes this

That's what I suspected would happen but I haven't used ADC before (heard "horror stories" from a colleague about the firmware versions having to be perfectly aligned and we very rarely had to replace one, so didn't seem worth it). I guess I expected that ADC would be contained fully within the Logix controller and wouldn't affect a disconnected drive at all, which seems to be what you found as well with your experiment.

So basically, with the network unplugged, the drive parameters set to factory default, the STO satisfied, and all inputs disconnected except input 1....the drive should respond to HIM keypad control. I would think, at least...

2 hours ago, Joe E. said:

So basically, with the network unplugged, the drive parameters set to factory default, the STO satisfied, and all inputs disconnected except input 1....the drive should respond to HIM keypad control. I would think, at least...

Agreed. Something else is wrong. 

Seems like some good convo here. If I summarize it right. Your system works stand alone but not on enet. So I go to the basics of divide and conquer. If on the problematic drive, you disconnect enet and set the settings to keypad and pot and it works then adc is not the issue. Adc only triggers on comm establishments. If you still have the issue, I would look for not fault config params on comm loss. With enet unplugged and you power cycle, set up for him and pot and it works. It has to be some setting. Can you attach .iuux CCW file so I can take a look?

Edited by VFD Guy

@VFD Guy I think the problem the OP is having is that he can't get his PowerFlex 525 to work as a stand-alone. If I'm remembering the thread correctly; the drive works well from the network but will not work in manual when disconnected from the network. I believe he's trying to control start/stop/speed from the keypad and pot on the drive, itself, and not getting anywhere, even after disconnecting from the network and changing the appropriate parameters. 

On 11/16/2023 at 9:44 PM, ElectronGuru said:

@VFD Guy I think the problem the OP is having is that he can't get his PowerFlex 525 to work as a stand-alone. If I'm remembering the thread correctly; the drive works well from the network but will not work in manual when disconnected from the network. I believe he's trying to control start/stop/speed from the keypad and pot on the drive, itself, and not getting anywhere, even after disconnecting from the network and changing the appropriate parameters. 

Apologies. I understood the opposite in the initial post that said stand alone worked