Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RobinEriksen

PanelView 600 - lost application

5 posts in this topic

Hi,

We have a PanelView 600 from 1999. It is still working but after turning it on today for the first time in two years, the application has been lost. I get an error code "1110 - No valid application".

How is it possible for the application to disappear from the HMI?

Some of those older products didn't have flash memory.  Does it have a lithium battery?  Those tend to only last ~6 months when powered down.

Seem to remember those having a large memory card for application storage, almost PCMCIA looking.

Hmm...it's been a while since I worked with a PV Standard so I pulled up the manual. They do have a battery for the RTC, but the manual says it's not used for application backup. The memory card is optional.  The manual says that the application is stored on EEPROM flash memory, so it shouldn't just lose it like that.

The help for fault 1110 ("No valid application") is simply to download the application to the terminal.

Interestingly, there's a Tech Note (access level: TechConnect for some unknown reason) that repeats the exact wording in the user manual.

Was the machine operational when it was shut down? It seems weird for it to lose its program like that. I'm not finding any other Tech Notes on it.

I

14 hours ago, pcmccartney1 said:

Seem to remember those having a large memory card for application storage, almost PCMCIA looking.

Yes it does, but we have never had a memory card inserted. It must have been stored internally. 

14 hours ago, Joe E. said:

Hmm...it's been a while since I worked with a PV Standard so I pulled up the manual. They do have a battery for the RTC, but the manual says it's not used for application backup. The memory card is optional.  The manual says that the application is stored on EEPROM flash memory, so it shouldn't just lose it like that.

The help for fault 1110 ("No valid application") is simply to download the application to the terminal.

Interestingly, there's a Tech Note (access level: TechConnect for some unknown reason) that repeats the exact wording in the user manual.

Was the machine operational when it was shut down? It seems weird for it to lose its program like that. I'm not finding any other Tech Notes on it.

Yes the machine was operational when it was shut down. 

And the solution is as you say just download the application again. I just really cant understand why the application just disappears. Maybe the flash memory is faulty in some way?

That is really weird. All I can think of is that it's an old device and something went wrong. Do you have the project file for it? And PanelBuilder 32?

7 hours ago, RobinEriksen said:

Maybe the flash memory is faulty in some way?

That's possible.  Or maybe the supply voltage spiked or sagged briefly during shutdown/startup in a way that disturbed the EEPROM.  Even one bit flipped would cause the CRC on the contents to be treated as empty.