pmcmahill

Networking a LOGO 8.FS4 to Compact Logix

8 posts in this topic

I have a purchased Machine that came with a Siemens LOGO 8.FSR PLC (Smart Relay). Generally we use Allen Bradley or Mitsubishi.

Anyway, we need to communicate data between the LOGO and an Allen Bradley Compact Logix.  I do not desire to add an additional network to the AB but as best i can tell the LOGO is exclusively Modbus TCP/IP.

Has anyone come across a similar situation?  I look online and did find an  Anybus module that claims to be able to link them together.  Looking for anyone who has faced this challenge and succeeded, or failed.

Thanks

Anybus is good.  Also consider Red Lion DSP.

is i worth it? how many IO points? as i recall LOGO are really small and programming is rather clunky (as expected from smart relay). 

i would rather consider to maybe just rip it out and replace with an AB IO module running on one of existing networks and controlled from same PLC.

1 person likes this

12 hours ago, panic mode said:

is i worth it? how many IO points? as i recall LOGO are really small and programming is rather clunky (as expected from smart relay). 

i would rather consider to maybe just rip it out and replace with an AB IO module running on one of existing networks and controlled from same PLC.

I agree here. Depending on the I/O count, it may be cheaper to buy some Ethernet/IP I/O to install in place of the LOGO instead of buying a gateway module. In the long run, it will be simpler and easier to troubleshoot too. If you want it to be a stand-alone machine instead of a slave of the CompactLogix, you can almost certainly replace the LOGO with a MicroLogix 1100 or 1400 for less than a gateway module. Either ML would talk natively with the CompactLogix far more easily than using any gateway device.

Is there an HMI on the machine?

Not sure, by the time you buy the 1734-AENT, Point IO blocks & terminals, do the wiring and then programming, you might be better off with the Anybus or DSP at $500 or less.

Quite possibly. The dedicated comms gateways I've priced have been over $1,000, but I was always trying to go from Profinet to Ethernet/IP.  The Red Lion DSPs can be cheaper than that.

Doesn't the AB PLC support Modbus TCP? I think that would be the ideal solution, requiring nothing else than just programming. It will depend on how much and type of data you want to move, even though Modbus doesn't support strings or other types of complex variables, you can always find a work around.

Yes, AB supports Modbus TCP, but generally i have not used Modbus TCP, but have done Modbus Serial on a Mitsubishi and 20 years ago.

Thanks for all the advise and opinions, but if we do the particular upgrade, we will be replacing the LOGO anyway.