Dot.ss

FX5 or Q Series Step Motor Control

14 posts in this topic

I searched FX5 manuals and it appears that with the high speed inputs I can run a stepper motor without a motor controller. I have little experience setting up a new system with any motor but have made changes with servo issues. I sent a request for info from my supplier but I still have some questions/requests.

1. Can an FX5U control stepper motors without a motor controller?

2. If not then what Q/R series setup is required

3. Are there any document to help understand? (program examples are welcome)

Main objective is to run a sensor head to 3 or 4 specific points using a belt driven linear actuator with a nema motor.

The answer for any PLC series is NO. You have to use a stepper motor controller and to control it by PLC. The stepper motor controller provide _current_ pulses through the stepper motor windings.

The PLCs can create a pulse output to tell the stepper controller what speed to run, they cannot drive a motor directly.

The manual its clear about the use of controller, driver or amplifier(whatever the term used all mean the same) including wire and program examples

https://www.mitsubishifa.co.th/files/dl/FX5(Positioning%20-CPU%20built-in,High-speed%20pulse%20IO%20module).pdf

if you don’t understand some term used by mitsubishi in the manual just ask but all you already asked is akready there un the manual

Thanks for the replies. I'll get a controller ordered. I'm sure I'll have a few questions after it's all set up on the bench.

I checked what FX cpus I have on hand today. They are all relay type. Can I put a transistor expansion on them?

38 minutes ago, Dot.ss said:

I checked what FX cpus I have on hand today. They are all relay type. Can I put a transistor expansion on them?

The answer is again NO. High-speed functions are only supported by first group of outputs at transistor type PLC base module.

If you have FX5 CPU you can use transistor expansion, but not all transistor model will work, need to be the FX5-16ET/ES-H or ESS-H, the H mean high speed.

this expansion isn’t cheap, almost the same price of the CPU unit and here in Japan take 2 weeks to receive, the CPU take 1 day.

another option is to use FX3U-1PG, half the price of the FX5 CPU but isn’t straightforward to setup the position control, youll need to write all...

FX5 you just choose machine unit in mm, cm, inch or degrees or use pulse...

JOG, OPR, acceleration, deceleration is is just a matter of choose parameters.

deceleration is something very important into motion system, wrong deceleration the system tend to wears fast...   

Take a look into the 1PG manual at the program examples to see the difference between  the FX5

FNC12 when you see it just ignore, this is for when you use the handheld programmer unit so just start typing from MOV for example.

another point you cant simulate it ti check if you want GX2 and GX3 show too you what you can simulate into your program, I don’t remember where you need too choose but its there lol 

Next time dude, before buy come here and ask we are here to exchange ideias 

http://suport.siriustrading.ro/01.DocAct/1.%20Automate%20programabile%20PLC/1.2.%20Compacte%20MELSEC%20FX/1.2.4.%20Module%20numarare%20rapida%20si%20pozitionare/FX3U-1PG%20-%20User's%20Manual%20JY997D47301-C%20(03.19).pdf

Edited by Copyleft

Only thing purchased at this point is a Nema23 Openbuilds Linear actuator and Geckodrive motor controller. FX5U-T probably tomorrow. Getting a Keyence IX to position and scan. Thanks again.

Bonus achievement is if I can save IX pics to PC with some data.

Edited by Dot.ss
extended

So a lot was learned here.

1. A motor controller of some kind is required to drive a motor regardless of voltage (due to amperage)

2. You can tell a stepper motor where to go... but if you are making several stops during travel you don't really know your true location. Yes relative positioning is a thing but slight over travel occurs during stops. 

3. Adding an encoder can correct the tracking issue of location.

So now I have a working linear actuator that I am stopping at points by comparing encoder count (scaled to mm) vs register values. Im driving the motor by the drivetable and stopping the instruction when my compare statement becomes true. The drive table is moving the motor the entire length of travel regardless of where it is at in stroke. Doing this it seems easier to make changes to the stop points (per register changes). This seems to work great for now.

3 questions of opinion.

Would this method be acceptable?

If not why?

Is there a better way?

Mi advice is to drop the encoder idea!

Find someone with experience to tell you if your stepper, drive and power supply are correctly sized for that linear actuator and it's purpose.

Make sure to eat with the covers hardware, programming and specially positioning manual for FX5 main unit.

You will find all the answers in the literature.

Much cheaper Fx3G-14MT can control up to 2 independent Axis...

Servo would have been far easier, as it has built-in encoder feedback.

How about ClearPath "stepper killer" series... it's NEMA 23/34 compatible deecent closed loop servo at half the price of AC Servo.