Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
keithpetten

Storing Pulse Data Using SSET, @PUSH, @FIFO

10 posts in this topic

Good day, I am trying to record 10 entries of data from my magnetic pickup. I want to keep 10 entries at all time, and average that value to be used in another function to convert to lpm, gpm, and other user friendly flows based on user preference. I have the pickup (EDD 4.5015U) connected to a ID212 input card(Input 5.10), on a CJ2M-CPU35. I am new to the CX Programmer and wanted to know if anyone can offer insight into where I am going wrong. I have attached the cxp file. Thank you in advance. Uploaded to mrplc.cxp Edited by keithpetten

Pulse data is generally too fast for a standard input module to follow. You will probably have to add a high speed counter module such as a CJ2M-MD211 to your PLC to get accurate counts.
1 person likes this

Manual attached. W486-E1-01_CJ2M_Pulse_IO.pdf
2 people like this

@ MENDON SYSTEMS: What benefit will I get from changing my ID212 to a MD211? I thought that my ID212 was already a high speed card. Is the MD211 faster? Better for pulse? Or just personal preference?

I verified that I am under the specs of the ID212 card, so I believe it is just a programming error on my part if someone can have a look and direct me in the right direction.

The MD211&212 modules can count pulse rates up 100 Khz using the high speed counters. The ID212 can respond to 10 Khz pulse rates but the actual capture rate it can support depends on your program cycle time.

The benefit of the MD211/212 cards is the multitude of built-in functions for high speed counting/simple motion etc. at very reasonable cost. I ALWAYS start by adding these units [up to two per CPU, 10 Inputs and 6 Outputs per unit] before even considering any other I/O modules.

Please tell us what you measure or calculate your pulse rate to be. Also what the on time of the pulse is and if possible, what the duty cycle of the pulse is. There are many factors that affect applying the specification without this data.

The magnetic pickup is installed into a Simark Controls liquid turbine flow meter. It is measuring flow going from a valve to a BOP stack. I just want to have the value sent to the PLC, then converted to the units the user wants, and displayed on a touchscreen panel.

Jay was asking for specific numbers for: Pulse Frequency Max On time of pulse (duty cycle if available) As Mendon Systems mentioned earlier, your PLC scan time will determine how fast the pulses can be counted when using a standard input module.