Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Upload from CP1H - Download to CP1L using CX programmer v9

16 posts in this topic

Hi All, Apology for being newbie and I never had background on PLC programming. I was ask to copy or backup PLC program from CP1H-X40DT-D installed in our working machine and download the program to spare CPU which is CP1L-M40DR-A. I am using CX programmer V9 and connect CPU with USB cable. By going online and using Transfer from PLC, I was able do upload without warnings or errors. Then I save a copy of cxp file-PLC program of CP1H to my hard drive. Before download to a different CPU, I first change PLC type to CP1L, then use Transfer to PLC to download the converted program to target CPU. But when I finished downloading to target CPU and Install in the machine, it didnt work. Can anyone teach me the correct steps in doing this? thanks in advance.

Did you receive any error messages from CX Programmer?? Do you get a RUN light on the CP1L?? Did you cycle power to the PLC after the download?? WHen you say didn't work, do you mean nothing works or part of it doesn't work. Edited by Mendon Systems

thanks. No I did not receive any error messages from CX Programmer. Yes, the RUN light is lit. If you mean cycle power by turning Off the PLC and turned it back on after download, yes cycle power is performed. Nothing works, no movement of the machine at all.Not even homing cycle.

Hi, these two PLS's are slightly different, the CP1H has sinking transistor outputs, while the CP1L has relay outputs. I'd check if the wiring is correct for the outputs. If the LEDs for the outputs are lit and nothing happens, it's probably a wiring problem. Geir

Homing cycle??? Does this mean you are using the pulse outputs in the CP1H? The DR-A series PLCs are relay contact outputs so they do not have pulse outputs. Why did you elect to use a significantly different PLC as a spare for the CP1H?? Edited by Mendon Systems

They are different animals and I believe it will not work. You will need the same type of PLC for it to work.

Looks like the program has been transferred to new PLC, but not the data. Data transfer is a separate procedure. At least D and H areas must be transferred to new PLC. Edited by Sergei Troizky

I'm going with Sergei. You need to go back and get the D and the H areas from the original PLC.

thanks, please, can you point me which document and which part of the document that can guide me to perform Data Transfer using CX programmer? Edited by ville

1) Double click the Memory icon in the project tree. 2) In the PLC Memory window, double click the 'D' and 'H' icons to open the data windows. 3) From the top menu items, click Online then click Transfer from PLC... 4) In the Transfer from PLC window, check the 'D' and 'H' check boxes. Also make sure Transfer Range is set to All. Click Transfer from PLC. 5) From the File menu, click Save in Project. You can now close your PLC Memory window. Don't forget to Save the CX Programmer project. To load the memory to the new PLC, do same steps except perform a Transfer to PLC. You may have to put the new PLC in program mode to transfer the 'H' memory.

Hi All, I went back to my original PLC and do another backup of PLC program including memory areas(CIO,A,T,C,IR,DR,D,TK,H,W) and successfully transfer it to my target NewPLC. Transfering to my target newPLC does not include TK as it is grayed out and TK checkbox cannot be tick. I was able to upload and download successfully and I didn't receive any errors or warnings. But still my machine did not work. By the way, the original PLC(CP1H-X40DT-T) has 3 x CPM1A-20EDR1 and 1 x CPM1A-8ED expansion installed. I only replace PLC to cp1L Another, observation I have is that; I convert the original program from CP1H to CP1L and after that, I convert back the converted program to CP1H. Then perform "Compare Program" (CP1H vs CP1H_CP1L_CP1H) and it says "Compare Failed". I have also noticed a difference in its program address after conversion. Before conversion, program address is 684 but changes to 683 after conversion. Can someone tell me how did the conversion/change of PLC and back causes the compare failure? Is it possible for the programmer to assign different Program Address in the contacts when using CX programmer, how? Thanks in advance Below are the screenshots of the ladder showing before conversion(orig cp1h) and after conversion(from CP1L to CP1H then back to CP1L)

Concerning your compile issue.... Don't worry about that. I've seen the compiler do this before. In your Compare window, the code on the right is a simplified version of the code on the left. They create a ladder rung that looks exactly the same and will execute exactly the same. As for why your machine is not working, I don't know. I haven't looked into the differences between the two PLC's. A simple thing to try is to test all your inputs and outputs to make sure they match the PLC addresses.

Thanks IO, Yes I'm going to do that while I am also putting comments in the corresponding contacts of PLC code. I am looking at the project tree and noticed that after conversion from CP1H to CP1L plc type, "IO Table and Unit Setup" is gone from the project tree? is this how it suppose to be? Another observation is, double clicking the symbols brings me to the addresses and its usage.However, As can be seen in the screenshot attached, addresses 102.00 onwards are assigned as Work in the usage and theres no Rack location. This is supposed to be outputs connected from CPM1A-20EDR1 expansion so I think this should be shown in the usage as Out (Left pick and place cylinder SMC). Anyone can give me idea about this? Is this normal or I need to change something..Thanks. I also observe this in the supposed to be inputs at addresses 2.00 onwards.. (Right Presser Extend Reed Switch)

The CP1L does not have an I/O table. Anything beyond a basic block will show as work bits - not inputs or outputs. I would still be replacing like with like - not worth the bother of it not working in the middle of the night!

Thanks for the useful input Bob and thanks all. I just read from the manual, CP1L only allowed up to 3 IO expansion as compared to CP1H which is 7 .