Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bob A.

1756-L55 (5555)

10 posts in this topic

Hi Guys, I need to do some ControlLogic practice so I'm trying to fire up an old 5555 that has been laying around. It likely was never used, but I don't know what the history is. It has two Red status lamps, one for the "OK" indicator and the other for the "RS232" Indicator. It is in a chassis with a EtherNetIP and a DHRIO module. I can see the backplane through both network modules and the CPU is absent on both. I'm looking for guidance as to whether there is any point in spending time on it, or if it is ready for the scrap? Since this is my first time in the ControlLogix family, I could really use some advise. Thanks and Best Regards, Bob A.

Whatever the operational status of a processor module is, it should show up with a browse in RSLinx. Since you can't see your 5555 on the backplane, I would suggest it is a brick. I assume you have disconnected the battery and left it unpowered for a while to make sure it is empty? The old 5555 processors can be grabbed very cheaply - try eBay, or bend the ear of your A-B rep - I bet they have hundreds of these knocking around. Here's one on eBay 200 GBP - free p+p to USA it says. 1756-L55 Edited by daba

Thanks Guys, I've decided to jump in a bit deeper. Found a L62S on eBay. Since I have a SIL3 requirement, it will serve me better. Best Regards, Bob A.

You will not be able to do any safety unless you get the safety partner module 1756-LSP

Another thing to check on the 55, though: does it have a memory module installed? If not, it will look like a brick and not do anything. There should be 2 labels on the side, one is 1756-L55 and the other should be something like 1756-M12.

I've got the LSP now and so the odyssey begins.

Joe, Both pieces are there. I took them apart and disturbed all the connections. Now I'm wondering which part typically goes bad. I have another CPU now but I would still like to have this one in working order in my development lab but I don't have much time to mess with it now. Bob A.

That's the only thing I could think of. You might try calling your distributor for advice, or contact AB tech support directly if you have a support contract.