Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rebuke

Welcome to the Ethernet, 10 years later

16 posts in this topic

Well, after years of pleading and begging my company has finally given in and allowed me to make one of our lines Ethernet capable. I'm confident that I can handle any hardware compatibilty issues but once a PLC unit is connnected, now what? My first project will be to send data via DDE to an Excel file on a drive on our network. I'm ok with that too but after that, then what? Will I actually see that PLC on the Windows Network Neighbourhood? Is it displayed as a drive? I will plan to purchase software to utilize the data I now have available but I'd appreciate it if someone could give some examples of what they have seen or done in the field.

More likely, Excel will initiate the transactions and read data. You will need appropriate DDE server software for the brand of PLC you're going to communicate with. e.g. RSLinx for A-B or Kepserver for multiple brands. Then check out the examples available on this site.

If you give us some more info there are lots of people who will help u out. PLC make and model Ethernet model software that you are planning to use. ect ect. Peace

Years of pleading and begging for something you don't know what to do with?! And this something is expensive enough. Eventually each and every cent will appear in the final product cost. People like you is raising the cost of life by simulating useful activity. Sorry for rudeness, nothing personal.

Get him, Sergei!

Well, I don't want to presume to answer for Rebuke but I do know that it's a common thing for people to have a general idea that a powerful feature which is laying just outside of their grasp can offer many unique improvements. They'll often have a general set of plans on how this thing will be truly valuable. Then when it's thrown in their lap much quicker than expected, they realize there are many details to be ironed out. Panic sets in because someone else is looking for fast results. Doesn't mean the initial vision was wrong. Just means there is some work and research and learning to be done. I've met and spoken with Rebuke and found him to be thoughtful and intelligent. The small investment for this equipment is chicken feed to his company and will have zero impact on their profit even if it just sits on the shelf collecting dust. If it can be eventually utilized to the extent he's hoping then a very large payoff could be realized. Small research projects, trials and experiments are important for keeping things moving forward. Nothing wrong with that in my mind. I'd agree, Sergei, if this was coming from the pockets of a small customer with a limited budget. That's not the case here.

"People like you is raising the cost of life by simulating useful activity. Sorry for rudeness, nothing personal. " Somehow I can't believe that over the span of your lifetime you don't fall into this category one way or another yourself. Like when you actually typed out that above sentence, for example. Howzabout instead I sit on my hands and watch our Automotive Parts Chinese competitiors beat us in technology AS WELL AS labor percentage? What's the worst that can happen? Let's ask RCA or Westinghouse, or maybe the entire American Textile Industry: Hello, anyone there? Hello? Hmm, maybe those guys have nothing better to do than simulating useful activity but I'm doing my part, however small, in keeping industry on this continent competitive. Nothing personal, though.

I am with rebuke on this one. As soon as you stop innovating you are done, If you dont try something new then you will never know what you can accomplish. We the human race are inovaters that is why we are < the animals...

Ok, guys. We got a little carried away, myself included. I just thought Sergei's comment was poignant. Rebuke, what equipment do you have? I have seen many simple solutions to your request both here and at other forums. Surely, we can get you started.

Felt like Michael Moore from 'Roger and Me' for a minute there. Where's my flag? Anyways, thanks for everyone's input. My first project is taking an Omron CJ1G-H online. I already have the card and the drop, and I am currently collecting data via DDE to Excel by a RS 232 Toolobus connection. My first goal is to take this same setup and change the Excel address to a drive on our network so that the spreadsheet can be opened by office staff. The next step is to utilize software such as CX-Supervisor or Cimplicity for a cleaner and more detailed presentation. One question for the immediate future is this: The ethernet card I am going to use is currently attached to a CJ1G-H but not active. To remove this card do I have to re-config the settings or is it simply a matter of powering up the CPU again after I remove the card? I am attaching a PDF that helped me set up CX-Server to connect with Excel. Simple but helpful. OmronDDEexample.pdf

As to removing the card, You will have to do an IO table recreate. it shouldent be a problem if you can turn off the PLC. 1. turn off PLC 2. remove said Card 3. Open up your program in CX Programmer and connect to PLC. 4. Put the PLC into Program Mode 5. Open up the IO table from the Project Explorer window. 6. Select Options Create from the menu list. 7. go throught the answer boxes(yes no quite easy) then if no problems turn the PLC back into Monitor or run mode and then clear the Error in the Error list and that should be it

Unfortunately, there is more to it than that. The Ethernet setup is not kept on board the Ethernet module, but it is kept in the CPU. There are two methods to back it up. One is on a CF memory card. The other is through a PC based utility that backups the parameter area of the CPU.

In the Netherlands we have saying: De kosten gaan voor de baten! As soon as you know this, then you know why those questions are asked. I thought this was a site where you could put your question or problems to a forum who takes them seriously

But, seriously...... I found the backup tool and modified it for CJ1. CS/CJ Parameter Backup Tool @ MrPLC.com

Courtesy www.freetranslation.com The expenses go for the profits!

Rebuke, Ethernet on CJ series is easy to setup through CX Programmer. The methods described will allow you swap your ETN module to your new machine. Once you have created the I/O table on your ETN PLC, right mouse click on the ETN module listed and goto unit setup. This will allow you to set your IP and Subnet mask. The node # on the front must match the last digit on your IP address. Omron CX Supervisor can link easily to your PLC. The comms tools use CX Server just like Cx Programmer. You can also create a global tag database which can be utilised in CX Supervisor to prevent recreation of I/O tags. Ask for more info if required. CX Supervisor offers most of the common database connection types and can log and trend easily. Goodluck.