Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bearsgone

PanelView Component Analog input

11 posts in this topic

Hello I have PanelView Component and trying to read in a value from I:3.1 analog input. As soon as I try to assign this reference to a tag I get a warning that this is an unknown address. I have 4 expansions. PLC is Micrologix 1400. tried different combinations but non seem to allow for the panel to read analog input. Please help

in the project window did you set up your processor with all your analog properties before you compile your tag file. also in your component software when you read from an address did you specify in a tab that you are reading a word and not a bit.

Hello PanelView Component does not have word option for data type, I tried 16 bit, real, string, unsigned 16 bit in. All complain that I:3.1 is not valid

Move I:3.1 to an integer ( e.g N7:0) then use that data file ( 16 bit integer) for your PV tag. Edited by Mickey

It is best practice to move expansion I/O to an integer or boolean data file within the ladder logic. However, if this is still not an option for you, please see Answer ID 67770 in the Knowledgebase for more information on how to directly reference extension I/O.

Hello Not to be difficult, how do I assign value from I to N? Thank you

Unfortunately I do not presently have techconnect access. It would be highly desirable to use I instead of N. Unless there is a way to copy a value from I to N as previous post suggested.

I suggest you download and save a copy of this manual. It includes the entire instruction set for the ML1400, as well as addressing requirements and data file types. I would read the introduction, the table of contents, the preface, and the first 4 chapters (pages 1-98 in the manual, or pages 1-100 in the PDF) as general reference for programming your controller. Then look up specific instructions as needed. AB is really good at producing documentation; I would take advantage of it. ~Jeff Edited by JStevens

It is good practice to do this with all Analog inputs. For digital inputs, do this: -------| DI |--------------------------( B:X/Y)------- You should map all your inputs in the beginning of the program. Don't use the hardwired I and O files in your control. If you do, the state of the IO may change mid scan and cause problems. If you map all your IO to PLC data files at the start of the scan, it insures that you will have consistent data status through the entire scan. Someone may tell you that you may want to use hard IO sometimes, but I've don't know when and never have. Standard practice is IO mapping.

I agree with using I/O mapping. It makes changing things much easier. It can make your control code more portable. But, with the SLC and Micrologix PLCs, the I/O scan is done between scans, so the inputs won't change mid-scan, unless you're using iterrupts or other special instructions. Paul