Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tommu56

micro logix access across the internet

8 posts in this topic

We have another building 5 miles or so away and we want monitor and program a micro logic over there is it possible? I have internet access and the software is the connection possible through the dsl modem? tom

tommu56 you don't mention what tipe of mictologix (1000,1100,1200 or 1500) now I not now if is posible iva internet but this is anoder option http://www.mrplc.com/kb/index.php?article=9

It will be an micrologix 1100 or other Ethernet slc 505 if i have to ready one it will depend on the IO mix and I haven't got all the info on that yet. tom

You may consider a vpn router. You'll be able to go online with plc, hmi, ect.... If you add plc in the future, you'll be able to use the same connection. plus it's really more safe. I send a linksys Wireless G with VPN link as example (WRV210): http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps9929/index.html

Not a problem. Best thing to do is to think of this as a small office site and configure it accordingly. Only way that you'd deviate from this assumption is that PLC's do NOT have any sort of inherent security built into them. If your T1/DSL connection is going out onto the "wild internet", then the only security you have is whatever is inherent in your PLC, which is all but nothing. You can try to use security by obscurity, but this is always fraught with danger. A safer approach would be to consider some sort of VPN connection that makes the remote site appear as a "local" subnet on your plant LAN that has passwords and such to prevent external intruders from getting out onto the remote LAN and causing problems. Remember that you will need some way to call the remote site, and you may want to think about security such as putting it behind a firewall on a VPN. You also need to think about whether to NAT the remote end or not. If you use NAT, and you don't want to pay for a fixed IP address, you can still make it work if you use www.dyndns.org or tzo.com and you have a router that supports this such as the Cisco WRT400N. For incoming connections, you'll either have to map the incoming ports to the PLC if you are using a firewall/NAT, or else configure VPN which is a lot more secure but requires some extra software/setup on the calling end of things. In a lot of ways you really will want to think of this just like a small office with just a few PC's in the office since that's what it is. There are a lot of variables to consider in doing this. That's also a big reason to buy the router I mentioned...because it's more of a "small office" grade router and comes with lots of manuals on how to go about doing this sort of thing. The router I mentioned is a home/small office device which has both local wired router capabilities and 802.11 draft-N/A/B/G on both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands. If you want something meant for an industrial environment, an even better option is the Hirschmann BAT firewalls. These are specifically designed for this kind of configuration and they are designed as industrial devices including DIN rail mounts. I haven't used Sixnet or RuggedCom but both supply some very sound equipment as well, and I know that Sixnet at least also sells equipment specifically for this sort of use. In terms of making it all work, the easiest/safest approach is to first set up laptops or PC's and cell phones. First work with ping'ing laptops in both directions. Then try ping'ing the PLC. Finally try calling out via RS-Linx, and doing all the other activities necessary to get everything set up.

Absolutely, but there are a few issues to address first... 1. What type of Micrologix. ML1100 is easy, but you'll need a 1761-NET-ENI device if it's a ML1000, ML1200 or ML1500. Set it up with an IP address compatible with your network. 2. You'll need a router at the PLC end to connect to intenet. A router with built-in VPN would be ideal, but you can use a program like Open VPN. 3. Ideally, use an identical VPN router at the other end. Once you're configured, you're effectively on the same network. 4. Ping the NET-ENI's IP address. You should should get a reply. 5. Configure RSLinx and browse for the controller.

If it is a new installation then I would only consider the Micrologix 1100 or 1400 with the built in Ethernet port. I would only use the NET-ENIs on applications where I can't change the controller out to an Ethernet based PLC. While the ENI does work, it can be a little quirky with some plant SCADA systems

Tanks guys Ill dijest this stuff. We can check it out in the plant we have a cable modem for customer use (they aren't allowed on our net work) before we move it to the other building. "They don't make plc's without Ethernet connections any more" right! That is my story and I'm sticking to it. I don't even conciser any thing else unless it has a network connection. tom