Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mos89

remote access via internet ML1100

11 posts in this topic

Dear all I want to know if there is a way to access a ML1100 in a plant frorm the office via internet ?

Yes, most common method is to use a VPN connection. Takes a lot of work setting up permissions, firewall ports etc....

There are many ways. If the plant is already connected to the internet, you IT department may already have a VPN (Virtual Private Network) for sales reps to connect from home through. The same could be done with the Micrologix 1100. You will need ports 2222 and 44818 open If there is no internet connection and it is not possible because of the location of the PLC, you could use a cellular modem

Do we need to set up special IP adress or we can use gateway ?

Can you give us more information on your network and how it has access to the internet?

I need to check with my IT dept i do not know exactly how our networks work, and i need to check with the plant

i am thinking to use Modem 9300 RADES to establish the connection

That won't really give you access via the internet, but will give you a dial up connection. It is possible that you may be able to get a phone service that will terminate an IP Address your phone line. I just did this with a cellular modem.

Dear all i found this: http://www.ewon.biz/ looks great i will do some test and let you know

Would be glad to hear how that device works, but i must say the following: If the Plant has an ethernet lan on site with internet connectivity, and the office has internet connectivity as well letting you IT folks establish a VPN for you between the 2 sites is the least painful way of gaining access. Also if you use a laptop once the VPN is configured you can access not just from the office but from home. big gain there when you get those 3am calls from the plant.

I bought a Spectrum Controls WebPort module to access my PLC and HMI stuff remotely. Setting up the accounts in ewon wasn't all to hard to do. Actually, it worked out just fine. I was able to get it set up in my office, then remote out to the virtual server then back to my devices. No major problems. The ewon server does go down from time to time, but its all ok I guess. So yes, all sounds good in theory. Problem is.... My customer wouldn't allow access. I can't recall what ports they needed to open, Port 80 for general internet maybe??? Anyways, even though I feel it is secure, in the end, IT wouldn't allow it to be connected. So, I've got it back on my desk. Spectrum has demos set up and running. You can contact them, and from your desk, connect to a PLC that they have running in their office. Pretty neat.