Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BobB

Networking

12 posts in this topic

Just setting up a rack/CPU/comms card replacement project (replacing C200H with CS1). The 8 PLCs are connected together with Controller Link cards. There is also a Controller Link card in a PC with a 5000 point CiTect licence. A second computer has a 5000 point CiTect web display client that will extract data from the main SCADA PC. There is a third PC in the plant room with a 5000 point Citect licence. This is to enable operators to view the system in the plant room when the diesel generators are running. The Ethernet card is the best option as this PC may be disconnected from time to time and breaking the Controller Link loop is obviously a bad idea. The original programs are being converted to suit the new processors/comms cards. Question is can I drill down into the Controller Link network from the Ethernet card? I would like to be able to address the PLCs in the building without having to place all information into Controller Link words so that the Ethernet card will have access to the info. Would much rather be able to address the individual PLCs directly and save myself a lot of work.

Hi Bob, If I understand what you want to do, you want to read data from PLC A -> PLC D, and also perhaps from PLC F -> PLC A? If this is the case, then I am pretty sure that you can use the RECV instruction over the controller link, without having to use the inbuilt mapping that the controller link does. Just re-read you post, you are wanting to drill down from the PC to the individual PLC's via the ethernet card?

Hi Scott Thanks for taking a look. CiTect reads straight from the Controller Link network via the FINS Gateway through the Controller Link card in the PC directly from each PLC for the main SCADA system. The secondary SCADA has an Ethernet card but there is no Ethernet network as such - just a crossover cable from the SCADA computer to the PLC. I would like to be able to read directly from each PLC via the Controller Link network through the Ethernet card the same way as I read with the Controller Link card in the other PC. By the way, I do not think it is possible but would like it to be. I suspect I will have to re-map to Controller Link or use RECV. Would probably re-map if direct read is not possible as I have to map some info anyway. There are 43 power monitoring points going in as well to read/trend power used when on emergency power (each floor separately). I will have to map quite a bit of this to Controller Link for load totalling for some tenants. Their floors cover several PLCs. Using Crompton blind power monitors and Modbus RTU out of 485 ports in the PLCs.

Hello Bob, Would it not be possible to fit an ETN Ethernet unit to one of the PLCs, then use that as a gateway to the CLK network from the ethernet PC? Just a thought!

Ah anonymous - you did not read the post properly. That is what I want to do. I have just been talking to Sleepy and he suggests setting up a routing table in the Ethernet card so that I do not have to muck around putting everything on the Controller Link network. Have never used Ethernet with Omron before and will have to have a look at routing tables. It is better that I can address each PLC directly as it will mean that both CiTect systems will be exactly the same with the exception of the comms being either Controller Link on one PC or Ethernet on the other.

You're right Bob, Kinda missed what you were saying there! Ethernet and the routing tables are fairly straightforward, and I'm sure that they should present no problems for someone of your calibre Good luck with the project!

Hi Bob, Yes, I have done exactly what you describe. (we used a CJ1M-CPU5 with ethernet and controller link as a gateway between Citect and Several Controller Link only C200 PLC's, the CJ1M in this system had no ladder program and is permanently in program mode! - We did this because we needed to replace the two Citect PC's and replacement Controller Link Boards were more expensive than adding the 'gateway' PLC. Now we can use 'off the shelf' PC's which always have ethernet as standard) If you are using fins gateway on the Citect PC's you will need to make routing table entries within fins gateway in addition to the PLC with the ethernet and controller link units. From the Citect end, Citect will not need to know the communication path, you will simply enter the address of the PLC as n.n.u as per usual. I understand you have some experience with the EIP21 - any details ..? Nibroc

My only experience here is that I had the manuals very early and had a 'quick look'. Nothing further I am afraid. The job I was looking at did not come through.

Hi Bob, I suggest you do a bit of reading in the CX-Integrator manual, section 3 Routing tables. Then take a glass of the huge red wine you always talk about (just one!) and let it sink in. I have a quickstart on Routing tables which is very clear for routing tables n00bs, but unfortunately it is in Dutch...

Guess wot? ONE????? It is too good for that. If ever you come to Sydney Pim contact me and I will introduce you to excellent huge stuff at a very cheap price. Dinner too of course. I was talking to a German lady the other night and she was telling me how good our wines are. I asked her what wine she had tried. She told me Jacob's Creek and that she paid the eqivalent to our $35 to $40 in nGermany. My comment was 'cooking wine' and we buy it for $6.99 on special - if we are desparate.

I will be sure to do that Bob. LOL BobB Huge Wines trading company inc?

AAHHH!!!!! How tricky. Rang the Omron guru and I had to connect serially to each PLC with Integrator to change the network number and make the PLC aware of the relay unit. Controller Link defaults to network 0 and the Ethernet card could not see it because the lowest real network number is 1 so Controller Link is now set to network 1. I then had to change the network number to 1 in FINS Gateway and Citect to connect via Controller Link to the PLCs. The Citect addresses are now 1/?/0 the question mark being the node number on the Controller Link network. The Ethernet card I had set up correctly with network 2 and the relay Controller Link card had been set up with network 1 from Integrator through the Ethernet card. I have now changed FINS Gateway in the second PC (for Ethernet) to network 2. Have not tried Citect there yet - will try over the weekend. CX-P can now tunnel down to the Controller Link network from the Ethernet card with the source network set a 2 and the real address set at 1/?/0 - the question mark is the node number on the Controller Link network. The 'help' files I would prefer to describe as the 'helpless' files unless I am more stupid than I thought. Yep, you can all have a go at that one - particularly Sleepy. By the way, I think it should be called the 'Huge Wine Drinking Company' Pim. Just bought some more Durif, Cab Sauv and Cab Sauv/Petit Verdot - the last one should be 'interesting'. Edited by BobB