Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gravitar

The safety glasses thread

6 posts in this topic

Hello all, just thought I'd ask and see what you guys are wearing! Sideshields have always bugged me for some reason, and I see guys walking around with glasses that have the sideshield moulded right into the main lens. I have been trying to find glasses like that in my optical prescription, but as of yet have not found what I am looking for.. There's a great selection for those lucky enough not to need prescription glasses but not much to choose from for us poor souls that actually need the darn things to see!

I don;t wear prescription safety glasses but found a link that appears to be able to them.. These guys in in Oz but i am sure you could also find some in the US.. http://www.rxsg.com.au/

I do wear prescription safety glasses and work and yes Side Shields bug me, but the scot or welch in me usually wins out. For the past 5 years I have worn a gold wire frame with side shield from TITMUS. The sields are removable and when off this $99 pair of glasses can pass for a $250 designer pair. Factor in that my company buys them and I get "designer look" eyewear for free. LOL

Just started wearing prescription safety glasses summer before last, they are not as comfortable as my old $6.00 standard safety glasses were. Our facility requires permanent side shields, they are held on the frames with little set screws. You could remove them if you wanted to, but I would not want to wear them on the street. I've been wearing safety glasses with side shields for so long, that it doesn't bother me any more, same goes for a hard hat and safety shoes, way over 20 years now. In some areas we have to wear chemical splash goggles over the safety glasses, you can barely see. The goggles fog up a lot, and I feel like I'm looking through a bucket. Before I needed prescription glasses, I would just take off the glasses, and put on the goggles. I hated the goggles then, but goggles over glasses is much worse. When you leave the goggle area and go back to just glasses, you feel glad to just be wearing glasses. You need a little rain to appreciate the sunshine, I guess.

My vision is better than 20/20 so I don't need to wear prescription glases, my laptop display is 1920x1200 because they don't sell anything better in 15" and I still clearly see all pixels on it - one by one (unfortunately I see two dead pixels too, good news is they are off and on the edge of the task bar). I would be happy to double number of pixels in both directions, that should make it look much more smooth. Many people complain that this is way to small to read. Maybe for their eyes but it works for me. The nice thing with high res display is you can always change dpi (so my wife can use it comfortably), it doesn't work the other way around... Yes I'm fortunate and I love my eyes. I use protective gear regularily and based on common sense, experience and type of activity. What annoys me is safety policies that mandate safety gear (usually eye wear) in just about any industrial work place - regardles of type of enviroment or activity. There are places and activities that call for protection but generalizing (and blindly following nonsense) should be ... I don't know... criminalized. I remember friendly guy comming from other end of the building to remind me to put the glases on when nobody is around and the only sound in whole plant is clicks of the keyboard. Machine I was working on was the only powered unit in the whole building and it was tester for assembled car seats...big, soft and ... slow... hardly an item that would jump into one's eye...

Yeah, common sense and regulations seem to mix like oil and water in many cases. I'll tell you one thing though, as nice as it would be to have better vision, I'm glad I wear glasses because even when I'm not in an "OSHA governed" environment, it seems like more often than not I'm somewhere that needs eye protection! I just figured this time around I'd look beyond the plain old ones and find something a little more comfortable to wear and see out of. There's some pretty nice ones on the page sleepy mentioned, but it doesn't look like they're serving the americas yet! I did find some good ideas though. I'm gonna see if anyone in my area has these: http://www.titmus.com/catalog/snakewear/SW06.html