Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Chris Elston

FX3U Programming Port Size?

6 posts in this topic

Can someone that has one of these FX3U PLCs Measure the programming hole diameter? Looks like mitsu recessed the programming hole on this FX3U PLC. Why did they do that? The other PLCs the programming port is flush with the top of the PLC and finding a MINI-DIN8 connector to fit in the hole is not an issue.

I have used a few of these but, sorry, don't know the diameter. I had to shave off the plastic around the plug (carefully though!) until it fitted. Regards Paul Ked

I have one out in the car, but it's raining, so you'll have to wait. I haven't had a problem fitting mini-DIN connectors into it, but I've only tried the cables from Mitsubishi. I've used the standard SC09, the new FX-USB-AW programming adapter, and an RS422 cable for connecting to an HMI.

OK, it's still raining, but I had to take the dog out anyway. The port is 13mm at the top, but it appears to taper down a bit. I'd say about 12mm at the bottom where the actual port is. For reference, the Mitsubishi cable that's on the demo kit has a plug that is 12-13 mm for most of it, but the last few mm of plastic before the metal part is narrower. About 11mm.

Thanks ALOT. I really appreciate this.

If you remember the FX2N had a door covering the port and the run/stop switch. With the elimination of that door and the dead space behind it, the port does seem to be recessed into the cover. But that's just because it's still mounted to the same type of circuit board. All current Mitsubishi cables (for like last 4 years) have a round housing on the end that fits into this socket. Some older cables had the round housing with the flat side more like a standard PC mouse connection. Not much they can do about it... They did have a small extension cable available but I can't find the part number.