Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
speakerman

Pendant choices for Mits FN processors

11 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone; I am new to this forum, so forgive any redundancies. My most recent job uses a Mitsubishi PLC, the FN series, and this is my first enconter with same. (I have worked with Allen Bradley, GE, Modicon, Siemens, and IDEC.) The programing interface is okay, and I'm sure there will not be a problem designing code to achieve the desired result. I am having some trouble locating a pendant style HMI with about 20 buttons, and at least a 5" screen to provide the machine operator with some feedback as to machine status. I would like to find one that is connected via data cable and not I/O structure to cut down on wiring requirements. We cannot use a panel mounted HMI, as the operator has to lean out over the unit while working. It would be best to be able to pull the controls near on a suspended cable so he can see what he's doing during fine manipulations. Has anyone out there used a pendant with the Mitsubishi PLC and had a good, bad, or indifferent experience with it? When I try a look up on the internet I end up going in circles. Once, about two months ago, I found a pendant that was featured right and compatible, but ironically my saved web address doesn't work anymore. I appreciate any help that can be given on this topic. Thanks, B.

i was using F940 series products (both monochrome and color) but the 1000 series should have newer breed products: http://www.meau.com/eprise/main/sites/publ...GOT1000/default http://www.meau.com/Files/GT1150HS_GT1155H..._Data_Sheet.PDF i'm not sure why would you need 20 buttons if you have touchscreen (maybe you want to save the screen if used in dirty enviroment like when operator gloves are contaminated with metal chips?).

I am now programming one of the E1100 quite impressed. Rodney

Rather than use a pendant, is it possible for you to use a swinging arm from an upstand or hanging? I have done this using extruded aluminium sections ( http://www.item-international.com ) and was able to mount an E910 in an enclosure fixed to this swinging arm. It looks neat, is robust and cabling can be routed within the structure. Best Regards Paul Ked

You have it exactly, panic mode. This is a metal milling machine, and it is immersed in metal filings, welding gases, and oil, continuously as are the people who use it. Touch screens don't fare well in this shop. To give the functionality of the touch screen as a status indicator and some basic function and troubleshooting controls is as far as I'd go. The pendant you mention is a Mitsubishi product? I missed that one. I'll look into that in more detail. Thanks for the reply... B.

Hey Paul Ked, Thanks for the post! You have a good idea. I am trying to replace an existing dangling pendant control box with something smaller and more flexible, and your suggestion is my fall back if there is no slick design available. I have seen other machines with very well featured pendants that have a small screen and about a dozen configurable buttons. They are light enough to hold comfortably, with have a flexible cable that can dangle loosely from an arm above. I am hoping that such an animal exists for the Mitsubishi processor, as their own pendants appear to be limited in their button count. If I find anything appropriate, I'll post it here in case anyone else has a similar need. Good programming! B.

I've just been browsing around and came across these: http://www.qsicorp.com/product/industrial/qterm-g55.php Don't know if they have the Mitsi Drivers but they may be worth emailing to find out more Best regards Paul Ked

Mitsubishi offers a handheld HMI, the GT1150HS and GT1155HS. But they are touch screens. They do offer protective covers for the screen to protect it from oils and debris.

Thanks Crossbow, and everyone else, for your input. Looks like I'll go with the Mitsubishi unit after all, an F940 hand-held with a protective cover, integrated E-stop and a handy keyed selector switch. I've modified the interface to accomodate the four natural buttons, and will have an additional small box that it will hang on containing 4 3-way selector switches to handle to common tasks, so the screen will not be beaten to an early death. Let you know how that goes. I've also changed from the old standard of an analogue pot for speed control to a digital selector switch input, with some programming to make it user friendly. A scalable input sensitivity will allow the digital input for raising or lowering the speed to adjust from tiny changes at a single flick of the switch, to ramping of 200 rpm per second when held continuously. Preliminary tests are good. Think iPod scroll wheel... that was my inspiration. This frees up the PLC from having an analogue card for only one input. The mits processor seems pretty user friendly so far. We'll see when the commissioning starts I guess! Thanks again guys. Happy programming.

Personally I would advise against the F940, as the comparable unit in the new and improved GOT1000 family is the GT1155HS. That unit is designed to replace the F940, so I wouldn't grab an old product for a new application. It's got all the features of the old, but the new ones have a bit more power, memory and better screen quality and update times.

Thanks for the heads up, Crossbow. There's still time to change it. I'll check the newer version out. B.