Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dave1971

Help Required

9 posts in this topic

Hi Forum, I was wondering if you could explain the following or give me some tips to complete the questions. An input module which is connected to a temperature transducer has a a/d with a 12 bit resolution. When the temperature transducer receives a valid signal from the process, (100 to 600 degrees). It provides via a transmitter a+1 to +5vdc signal compatible with the analogue input module. 1) Find the equivalent voltage change for each count change, the voltage change per degree celsius change and the equivalent number of counts per degree celsius assuming that the input module transforms the data into a linear 0 to 4095 counts. 2) Find the same values for a module with 10 bit resolution. 3) Draw a sketch, block diagram to show a basic configuration of this system, indicate the points on the diagram where the system variables. (Temperature / voltage / and digital count) would be present also show the viriable ranges. Edited by Dave1971

For a 12-bit analog to digital conversion, the range of the analog signal is divided into 4095 (2 raised to the twelfth power minus 1) steps from zero to 4095. If you have a signal range of 0 - 10 volts, then when the analog signal is between zero and 2.44 millivolts, the digital value is zero; from 2.44 mV to 4.88 mV, the digital value is 1, etc. For a 10-bit conversion, the range is divided into 1023 steps. In your (12-bit) case, the analog signal range is 1 to 5 volts, corresponding to a temperature range of 100 to 600 degrees. A 1 volt analog signal corresponding to 100 degrees should give a digital value of zero. A 5 volt analog signal, corresponding to a temperature of 600 degrees should give a digital value of 4095.

Homework assignment due?

Just a question from it, why is that a problem.

I didn't say it was a problem. But I think you would agree that it would be more to your benefit to be able to figure these assignments out yourself.

Whats the point of having a forum if you can`t ask a question even if it is regarding homework question. Edited by Dave1971

There's no problem so long as you have at least displayed that you have attempted the problem. Or shown that you have listened in class... or typed in google 12 bit resolution etc... We don;t need to do the home work cause we have pretty much read, investigated, tried and failed extenslivey...we generally ask a question on the forum if we have exhausted most avenues and are stumped... Steve has pointed you in the right direction.

Maybe the abrasiveness in this response is just my imagination. Hopefully you learned something, and please be sure to thank the guy that answered your question

I am thankful for all the help that i receive.